Can't find project or library

Copper Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have several copies of an Excel model that continues macros.  Usually, they work fine but every once in a while, when I open one in Excel 2013, I get the error "Can't find project or library".  Then, my file is unable to be saved from that point due to corruption.  I cannot save it as a macro-free "xlsx" file either due to the errors.

I can work around the problem by opening my file in Excel 2010, then re-saving it.  This fixes the problem for the corrupted file as if it never happened.  However, I have several members on my team who do not have Excel 2010 and are therefore stuck with a corrupted file or they have to send it to me for a fix.

I tried to follow the directions online:  Alt-F11 to go to Visual Basic, click "Tools", "References" and unselect any libraries not found.  But, the "References" menu will not load when I'm in one of my corrupted files.  When I click "References" it simply returns me to the Visual Basic window without bringing up the menu.

I don't want to have to remove my macros from my models since they're very useful but I can't have my models randomly corrupting themselves like this for my team members.  Please help!

Thanks,

Brandon

4 Replies

@bjquijada 

exact same problem here.  any solution?

@bjquijada 

I had the same the problem - this is how i managed to fix:

1) Close the file/excel down

2) Right click on file, properties, security, edit access, remove all accesss

3) At this point you likley cant access the file

4) Right click on file, properties, security, edit access, add full control, to yourself, typically your email address linked to MS account

5) Open the file, Alt F11

6) Now you should be able to access the references (Alt F11, Tools, References)

7) For me, there was one unticked reference linked to the file, tick this
8) This solved the problem for me.

Please let me know if this fixes for you.

I had the same the problem - this is how i managed to fix:

1) Close the file/excel down

2) Right click on file, properties, security, edit access, remove all accesss

3) At this point you likley cant access the file

4) Right click on file, properties, security, edit access, add full control, to yourself, typically your email address linked to MS account

5) Open the file, Alt F11

6) Now you should be able to access the references (Alt F11, Tools, References)

7) For me, there was one unticked reference linked to the file, tick this
This solved the problem for me.

Please let me know if this fixes for you.
I get this same problem, use the Excel 2010 fix too. Nothing else as worked for me.