Can't figure out how to pull the correct info - think its an index, match, if statement problem

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can't point me in the right direction on this or tell me how to solve it. Not entirely sure this is even possible but it seems like it should be. I'm trying to figure this out for a payroll report. So this is the format that is generated by the scheduling software we use. In column A is the instructors name, and in column B are the class attendees. Unfortunately it actually says class attendees in the cell itself with the number of attendees, and the attendees can range from 0 to 12. Also, unfortunately if it's just a one on one session it just lists the persons name so these need to be skipped. What I am trying to do is pull the number of attendees over 6 and sum them by each instructors name. So Instructor A would show 3 attendees, and instructor  B would show 11 as a total. I'm trying to do this without having to manually reformat the data because we have hundreds of these to go through every 2 weeks for payroll.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

*Side note: I have no idea why but when I upload this workbook the number of attendees is different that the one on my desktop. The total attendees would just be the number of attendees over the first 6. 

1 Reply

@mikeg450 

Please see the attached workbook. I believe it does the counting how you want it to be, based on an extra column that separates the number of attendees (over 6) from the Customer column and a simple SUMIF at the bottom. Please note it calculates 20 (not 3) and 11 attendees (over 6) for instructors A and B respectively.

Now, I'm sure that this can also be done via Power Query, but that I can not demonstrate as I'm on a Mac and, unfortunately, Excel for Mac does not have that functionality.