Can't Add Worksheet and/or Move/Copy Worksheet in Excel File

Copper Contributor

All of a sudden, I cannot add a worksheet or move/copy a worksheet within an excel file I have been working with.  The file is shared with other co-workers.  I can complete this function in other files.  Looking for help to solve this problem.

7 Replies

Hello @Val_L,

Make sure the workbook is not protected. In the Review Tab, go to Protect Workbook. If you are prompted to unprotect the workbook, then a password is set to protect the workbook already.

@PReagan  the workbook is protected and I have already unprotected it.  I am able to modify existing worksheets.

I have always been able to copy a worksheet from one file and paste it into a second file.  both worksheets are unprotected but i still cannot copy.  HELP I have a paystub to get out.  I would have a calculations tab and then bring the final numbers into a stub then copy the pay stub into a new file to be sent out.  I cannot do any of the copying and I can't  add a new worksheet or tab to the current pay stub tab that id dent out. 

Peggy

sorry to confuse folks - this is a new post not a reply. i have this problem right now, in June 2021!
Even I'm facing the same issue. I'm unable to insert new work sheets when I rights click on sheet1 name and click on insert. If I click on Plus sign I'm able to add the sheet, please suggest.

@Val_L 

I had the same issue now (August 2021) but could solve it.

It turned out that it was a format issue of the Excel sheet.

".xlsx" vs. ".xls" ("Excel Worksheet" against "Excel 97-2003 Worksheet").

Both worksheets need to have the same format in order to copy or move sheets properly.

Open the excel in Desktop, you can not Move or Copy when it is opened in Web.