Can on-premise gateway be used with excel and excel online?

Copper Contributor

We want to fetch data into excel from an on-premise Oracle server. On-premise gateway seems to be right tool to enable this. It can be used in Power BI but I don't see any way to define a connection in excel to an on-premise gateway. 

Once the data is loaded into excel, the file would be uploaded to sharepoint for further collaboration through excel online. We are hoping that "Refresh all connections" would work in excel online to enable users in refreshing the data. 

Could you guide me on how can I use on-premise gateway in excel (2016) and in excel online (to refresh data)?

Thanks.

6 Replies

@amitshah1935 

As a comment if you connect using Power Query, Refresh is not supported for it in Excel Online. If that's data model connector you shall do nothing within Excel to connect, adding connection to Enterprise data GW shall be enough.

@Sergei Baklan wrote:

@amitshah1935 

If that's data model connector you shall do nothing within Excel to connect, adding connection to Enterprise data GW shall be enough.

@Sergei Baklan - II didn't follow what you meant by "Enterprise data GW"? Is it different from this on-premise gateway? Could you please elaborate how does it help in my requirements?

@amitshah1935 

Sorry, old terminology. Enterprise data GW is called now On-premises data gateway, and Personal data GW - On-premises data gateway(personal mode).

@Sergei Baklan - right and I could not find a way to load data from an on-premise gateway into Excel. Let me know if you could guide me.

@amitshah1935 

You do not load data from gateway, you load from on-premises database. You add data source to GW, not to Excel or any other app, like

image.png

Perhaps there is some specific for the Oracle, but didn't work with it for about 10 years.

Was this ever solved?

I am also trying to populate an excel sheet from a data gateway.

it seems the answer is not correct for the question.

@amitshah1935