SOLVED

Can no longer refresh data in a Protected Workbook since Excel version 1803

Brass Contributor

Seems to have been a functionality change introduced in version 1803.

We have a protected workbook with some data connections to pull in data from SQL. Since updating to version 1803 the message 'Workbook is protected and cannot be changed' appears when trying to refresh the data. Removing workbook protection allows data to be refreshed.

Using the same workbook in version 1802 allows the data to be refreshed with the workbook protection left on.

Posting here in case anyone else experiences this issue.

67 Replies

@Liz_wacoal , I am not aware of such a workaround. However, I suggest you publish your question at the General Discussion forum. Maybe someone will have a creative solution for you.

Guy

- Excel Team

@Guy Hunkin I just tried doing this in my excel sheet right now 5/4/2019 and it still doesn't work. Once I protect my worksheet, it no longer allows me to refresh. 

@irisw ,

Please provide more details about your Excel version and your exact scenario.

Guy

- Excel Team

Same story as the other 62 replies here. Can't refresh connections in protected sheets. September 2020, this issue is years old! @Alex Lush 

@JonSov Hi,

could you please send us the Excel version you are using (Link for how to find your Excel version) and describe to us the exact scenario that happened to you?

Inbar

Excel Team

I also have this issue in Excel.  Version is Excel for Office 365 MSO (16.0.12527.21296) 64-bit.  If you lock a worksheet and have a query table on it, the query cannot refresh.  You also cannot allow that option as it isn't in the list of checkboxes when enabling Protect Worksheet.

@judremy Thank you for your response. Could you please add more information regarding the issue, are you referring to a protected workbook or a protected sheet? In a protected sheet you can not refresh by definition. In a protected workbook you can refresh if you choose to protect for structure.

Hi @Inbar_Privman

In a protected sheet you can not refresh by definition. In a protected workbook you can refresh if you choose to protect for structure.

Can I have some more detail on the above please? We should be able to protect the workbook and refresh queries if we choose to protect for structure only,? I am not finding this to be the case, I must be missing something.

I have queries to a MS SQL Database, import via Power Query. I would like to be able to protect the workbook and the model but have the user able to refresh the data. Any further thoughts?