can no longer paste into a separate workbook

Copper Contributor

I have a very large workbook that I have to copy parts of into a separate workbook a couple times a month.  This has always worked with copying a range in the source workbook then selecting one cell in the destination workbook and 'paste.'  However, now when i try to click in one cell in the new workbook and paste, i get the following error message:

You can't paste this here because the copy area and paste area are not the same size.

Select just one cell in the paste area or an area that's the same size, and try pasting again.

Please help!!

1 Reply

@psatterfield I suspect that you are trying to copy entire rows and/or columns and, perhaps accidentally, try to paste these into a cell that is not in column A (for rows) or in row 1 (for columns).

For example, when you try to copy rows 10:100 and paste to B1, the the error message comes up. The same happens when you try to copy columns G:P and paste to A2.

If this is not the case, can you give an example of a non-working copy/paste action, indicating the range you copy from and the cell reference you try to paste to?