Can I link excel data to another workbook based on certain criteria?

Copper Contributor

Hello, 

I am using Windows 10 Pro. 

I have a main sheet that has one column of information(column A) that needs to be linked to another document. I cannot simply just link the entire column, since the only cells within that column I need are ones that satisfy: their corresponding column B row being greater than 0. 

So I'm only linking certain cells from column A if in column B, the value is greater than 0. 

Is this at all possible?

I have attached an idea of what the main sheet looks like- I would like to only link the locations that the # of days are greater than zero, to a completely new book. 

Thank you.

4 Replies

@djessfernandez 

If you have the newest version of Excel, the FILTER function will do what you are seeking. I've attached two files, one is your original with a FILTER function on the same sheet as your data. The other (Part Two) shows how a separate workbook altogether can bring in the desired data.

Here's a YouTube video that does an excellent job of explaining FILTER. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...
Thank you, this has brought me one step closer. I watched the video but a bit stuck on linking the sheets through the filtering- did you use the built in function in excel? I am using it but returning error.
What version of Excel do you have? In order for FILTER to work, you need to have the most recent version.

Yes, I used the built-in function. You should be able to see the formulas/functions in the two sample files I sent back.

thank you. I am using Excel 2016

I appreciate your help.

@mathetes