Can Excel raise a warning when I am saving a csv file with multiple sheets?

Copper Contributor

Excel doesn't raise any exception while storing a csv file with multiple sheets, but once the file is saved with multiple sheets, closed and opened again, only the last active sheet is saved and others are discarded. If other sheets are discarded anyway, then when even let create additional sheets? 

There is a warning that says "possible data loss" but it would be nice to have a warning that says other sheets would be discarded. 

3 Replies

@Anil_Krishna_99 When I save a file with multiple sheets to CSV on my Mac I get this message:

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 16.07.57.png

Don't you?

@Riny_van_Eekelen for a new unnamed file, yes it does. Try opening an existing file, creating additional sheets and then save it, there's no warning. I know its a bit of an ask, but I have fallen for this more than once, it would be really helpful if we have the same warning pop up even if it's an existing file. 

@Anil_Krishna_99 I'd say it's not best practice to open a CSV file directly by double-clicking, to begin with. Better to do a proper import into an xlsx file. But that's just my personal opinion.

The "possible data loss" warning is quite clear, even though it doesn't mention all the features involved. All formatting you do, all formulae you add are lost. Not just added sheets. Save as xlsx first, then continue your work.