SOLVED

Can Excel map charts show capital cities of provinces?

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to create a map chart of Poland, with various data at a provincial level.  However, it would be much easier to digest this data if it also showed the capitals of the various provinces.  Ideally, the map chart would only show cities I select, along with the data at the provincial level.  I haven't figured out how to do that, is it possible?

For example, the map would show various number values for each province, and then Warsaw, Lodz, and Gdansk with just markers for these cities.  The intent it to orient the consumer of the graph with the general geography of the country, as well as giving them some data at the provincial level.  How can I do that?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by figgers3036 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@figgers3036 

I tried to play with that. Not sure everything could work, but something.

First point, Map Charts is quite sensitive to column names. For such ones

image.png

it shows nothing. It's enough to rename Region to Province and

image.png

Now rename City on County:

image.png

Something like this. IMHO, Map Charts is not the best tool for such games. Perhaps Excel Power Map or Power BI will work better.

image.png

Thanks!  I think you're right, I think another program would be a better option for this specific use.  Thanks again for your help.

YitHan98_0-1660622854210.png

@Sergei Baklan Hey dude, when I create map chart from the same data from you, the chart legend is different from yours. May I know how you change the legend into different colour instead of same colour?

@YitHan98 

Right click on map, -> Select data from the menu

image.png

Here Edit series (population in this case), and here color by category names

image.png

Thanks for the help!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by figgers3036 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@figgers3036 

I tried to play with that. Not sure everything could work, but something.

First point, Map Charts is quite sensitive to column names. For such ones

image.png

it shows nothing. It's enough to rename Region to Province and

image.png

Now rename City on County:

image.png

Something like this. IMHO, Map Charts is not the best tool for such games. Perhaps Excel Power Map or Power BI will work better.

image.png

View solution in original post