Can a Macro be created for this?

Copper Contributor

I'm running Windows 10, Excel 2013

In the attached example, I'd like to be able to run a macro that runs down Column F from the top to bottom (which is over 300 rows) and insert a row and a formula such as is called out in the example to determine the delta between the dates throughout the column. If that number is less than 4, then the resulting cells should display red.

There will be blanks every 6 or so rows, such as showing in rows 24 and 32 in the example; which in these cases, no action need be taken. Is this possible? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Example Excel Image.jpg

7 Replies

@GeoffT2022 

Sub dates()

Dim i As Integer
Dim lngzeilemax As Integer

lngzeilemax = Cells(Rows.Count, 6).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To lngzeilemax

If Cells(i, 6) = "" Then
If Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i + 1, 6), Cells(i - 1, 6)) < 4 And Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i + 1, 6), Cells(i - 1, 6)) >= 0 Then

Cells(i, 6).Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i + 1, 6), Cells(i - 1, 6))
Cells(i, 6).NumberFormat = "0"
Cells(i, 6).Interior.ColorIndex = 3

Else
    If Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6)) < 4 And Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6)) >= 0 Then

Cells(i, 6).Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6))

Else
    End If

End If

Else
End If

Next i

End Sub

Maybe with this code. Click the button in cell I2 in the attached file to start the macro.

Thank you!

I tested it out and it works on the sheet you attached. I am new to this but a fast learner. The only thing, it only looks at dates above and below blank rows. How can it enter blank rows automatically?
Or, I will need another macro to insert the lines...?
Ok, I found an easy workaround for adding the blank rows. I will now experiment with my actual data and provide update.

@GeoffT2022 

Sub dates()

Dim i As Integer
Dim lngzeilemax As Integer
Dim j As Integer
Dim z As Integer
Dim w As Integer

lngzeilemax = Cells(Rows.Count, 6).End(xlUp).Row
j = Application.WorksheetFunction.Count(Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(lngzeilemax, 6)))
z = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountBlank(Range(Cells(1, 6), Cells(lngzeilemax, 6)))
w = j - z + z + j

For i = 2 To w
If Cells(i, 6) <> "" And Cells(i + 1, 6) <> "" Then
Cells(i + 1, 6).EntireRow.Insert

Else

If Cells(i, 6) = "" Then
If Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i + 1, 6), Cells(i - 1, 6)) < 4 And Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i + 1, 6), Cells(i - 1, 6)) >= 0 Then

Cells(i, 6).FormulaR1C1 = "=DAYS(R[1]C[0],R[-1]C[0])"

Else
    If Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6)) < 4 And Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6)) >= 0 Then

Cells(i, 6).FormulaR1C1 = "=DAYS(R[-1]C[0],R[1]C[0])"

Else
    End If

End If

Else
End If

End If

Next i

End Sub

You can try this code. Click the button in cell I1 in the attached file to start the macro. The macro now inserts blank rows and displays the formula where applicable.

@OliverScheurich 

This works great on the sample sheet. I now have the following 2 questions:

1) What change to the code is needed to target column M instead of F?

2) Can this run on larger datasets? I get a Run-time error: Overflow message when trying to run on a sheet with 72000 rows.

@GeoffT2022 

1) You would have to change the number of the column in expressions such as:

Cells(i + 1, 6).EntireRow.Insert

Application.WorksheetFunction.Days(Cells(i - 1, 6), Cells(i + 1, 6)) < 4

6 is the number of column F.

You would have to enter 13 to target column M.

2) For the variables in the code i have changed the data type from INTEGER to DOUBLE in the attached file. This allows for larger datasets.