SOLVED

can a filtermatrix be definded as table?

Copper Contributor

i have data, which i want to filter for e.g. time. so i add two cells with start and end time.

now i add the filter function on the data table to get the wanted time span.

how can i easily draw a diagram of this filtered data without using the name manager and the offset function?

for tables the diagrams are dynamic

3 Replies
best response confirmed by rla__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rla__ 

It would be better to exploit the new dynamic array notation than reverting to old-style dynamic range definitions.  In the attached, I have filtered the value and number columns of the table individually so that there is a separate spilled range for each filtered set.  The alternative is to filter as you have done and pick the columns of the filtered range out by using INDEX.  I tend to prefer sheet-local names for charts; it seems to make the best of a user-hostile interface.

Thanks @Peter Bartholomew,
its a good idea to filter each rows and i did not now the # notation.
Now my diagrams can be as flexible as necessary for me.
Why does the $A$1# notation has to be used in the name manager, but cannot be used in the diagrams as x-data?,
The # notation is absolutely central to modern dynamic arrays so, having used it here, you should be well-placed to use it throughout your worksheet. It is also possible to use it with a named ref, so
anchorCell#
could be a dynamic array and
@anchorCell#
would be the single cell in line with the cell containing the formula.

As for why it works in Name Manager, it is simply a question of how old the section of code is. I think charting is much as it was in 2007 whereas the # notation was new late 2018.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by rla__ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@rla__ 

It would be better to exploit the new dynamic array notation than reverting to old-style dynamic range definitions.  In the attached, I have filtered the value and number columns of the table individually so that there is a separate spilled range for each filtered set.  The alternative is to filter as you have done and pick the columns of the filtered range out by using INDEX.  I tend to prefer sheet-local names for charts; it seems to make the best of a user-hostile interface.

View solution in original post