Calculation result always 0

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have changed computers and now my excel is operating differenlty.

On a regular basis, I download data from my web app and do simple formulars to add cloumns up.

On the new PC when doing so the formaula result is always 0, I have checked that the format is General  and the calculation option is on Automatic but the issue persists. If I retype the values in the next column and add the formula I get the correct result. It is as if excel is not seeing my imported vaules as numbers, please help.

6 Replies

@IngridKC 

Maybe your numbers are formatted as text. If so there is a green triangle in the left upper corner of the cell which is a notification of a possible error. In addition text is left-aligned in a cell whereas numbers are right-aligned in a cell.

Instead of retyping you can apply this formula:

=NUMBERVALUE(D3)

@OliverScheurich 

Thanks for the reply. The numbers are left aligned, I have tried changing it to number format (and it shows that it is number formatted) but still will not add up my column, and no notification  

of possible error.

Not sure where else to chage the format?

Screenshot 2022-04-22 140230.png

@IngridKC 

Select column E:E

Data | Text to columns, pick delimited, in the next step clear all delimiters and proceed by clicking next then finish.

On my old PC my data would fill the columns correctly when importing but now I need do Text to column. If I clear all delimiters the data remains in one column.
Would be great if you know how I can import so it automatically fills the coloumns , would probably solve all issues.
It depends on the source of your data. It appears the source is coming from outside of Office 365. When this is the case, Excel will often pull in the data and evaluate a column of numbers as text. If the data is not filling out into columns it may be missing a delimiter.
It makes no sence to me, on my old PC (from the same data souce) it fills out correcly but on my new PC it does not, they are both set to comma as the list separator.