Box and whiskers chart - data set limit

Copper Contributor

Hi!

I have a large data set (ca 60000 rows) with autologger data which I use box and whisker plot to visualize. This worked very well the first year, less well the second and now in the third year Excel is working hard to update the charts with 3 years of data. Is there a limit to the dataset size that Excel can access/use in these charts? For me this kind of chart is an excellent way to visualize large datasets, but if Excel cannot processs larger data sets I lose this possibility. I have tried reducing the amount of unnecessary data, saving the workbook locally and starting agin from scratch with new files. The PC is new and both Windows and Office are up to date. All colleagues have the same issue, so it is probably not related to my hard- or software. Any advice is appreciated on how to proceed, or work around this issue.

Regards, Martin

2 Replies

@Martin_Liungman 

Hi Martin, did you find a solution to this? I have a large dataset with several years of data, and now my boxplot charts will not load. It appears to cripple the enitre file. Once you hit the sheet with the boxplots, excel hangs and freezes. I have about 1200 rows of data, and there are a lot of formulas and other charts in the file. It was working very well, but is now crippled.

@Bubson nope, Excel does not seem to be able to work with large datasets when creating boxplots. I don't know the actual data limit, and maybe other content in the workbook also reduces capacity. I ended up using R instead.