SOLVED

blocking negative numbers

Copper Contributor

I am operating on a desktop with windows 10 pro and office 365 business premium. I have created a simple excel spreadsheet forgas mileage calculations.  In column B there are an ascending succession of numbers (the auto mileage).  I have used a formula in column D to indicate, for example: in D-3 the difference between B-3 and B-2. (miles traveled since last entry)

I have formulated the entire column to do this.  The formula works great, with the small exception that when the spreadsheet is filled through row 3, it then displays in D-4 the difference between B-3 and B-4 (which is empty), thereby displaying a negative number equal to the value in B-3.  It seems as though there would be a simple solution to block the display of the negative number until such time as a value is in place at both locations that the sum is dependent upon.  I haven't been able to find it.  Can someone help me?

3 Replies

@LifeSupportAlliance 

Enter this formula in D2, and copy down rows: 

=MAX(B2-N(B1),0)

@Twifoo Thank you for your input.  I assume I replace my current formula with the one you provided. I am learning by the seat of my pants, but I would like to understand what I am doing. Can you break down the formula for me?

best response confirmed by LifeSupportAlliance (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I assume your Column headers are in Row 1. The N function ensures that the cell directly above the current Row in Column B is converted to a number. In this case, if the header for Column B is in B1, and it is text, N converts it to 0.

The MAX function ensures that the difference that results, when B1 is subtracted from B2, will never be a negative number and the lowest it can be will be 0. Stated differently, MAX returns the maximum number between the difference (whether positive or negative) and 0.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LifeSupportAlliance (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I assume your Column headers are in Row 1. The N function ensures that the cell directly above the current Row in Column B is converted to a number. In this case, if the header for Column B is in B1, and it is text, N converts it to 0.

The MAX function ensures that the difference that results, when B1 is subtracted from B2, will never be a negative number and the lowest it can be will be 0. Stated differently, MAX returns the maximum number between the difference (whether positive or negative) and 0.

View solution in original post