Bing Maps doen't recognize locations

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Windows  10 fr, Excel 2016 fr.

Any location is "not found", whether it's towns, countries, postal codes etc. Has anyone the same problem ?

Thanks in advance.

13 Replies

Can you post how you identify locations? Also, how do you connect your Excel data to Bing maps?

Do you get any errors?

For testing purposes, i'm using the same data shown in the example : https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqRP0RQrhNWWyAmsAuMHDG80dP99 I connect to Bing Maps using the Insert, Bing Maps icon. I also suppress the Bing Maps App and recreates it to no avail. The error is invalid locations (see link).
For testing purposes, i'm using the same data shown in the example : https://1drv.ms/i/s!AqRP0RQrhNWWyAmsAuMHDG80dP99 I connect to Bing Maps using the Insert, Bing Maps icon. I also suppress the Bing Maps App and recreates it to no avail. The error is invalid locations (see link).

Daniel, from my point of view that's buggy and ugly add-in. And not supported by Microsoft, at least no updates from mid of 2014.

However, since have it still installed, i tried - and it works. After the error i just pushed Show Locations button. 

BingMaps.JPG

If don't use 3D maps and Power View, the alternative could be recently introduced Maps Chart, however it's on preview stage and require O365 subscription.

Thanks for answering. Unfortunately, pressing the "Show Locations button" just signals that "Les données sont vides" (meaning : empty data). The two others columns of data are correctly read

Maybe it has something to do  with local versions.

When bit more details how i did that

1) Stay on the cell in the middle of empty sheet and press Insert->Bing Maps

2) Maps appears with suggestion to Insert Sample Data

3) Press on it - the table with sample data is generated starting from the cell on which you stay. Locations are shown on the map

4) Select first three locations in this table, again Insert Bing Map, ignore Insert Sample Data, press Show Locations - it works

5) If you stay on empty cell(s) (i.e. not selected proper locations) and press Show Locations it gives error like you have

InvalidData.JPG

Thanks Sergei, but no, the data range is correctedly selected. The columns Revenue ans Expenses are correctly read and are displayed on the chart legend. Moreover, the problem was reported by another user. Told me it still worked last week.

(by the way, I inadvertely mark my previous answer as "best response". Do you know if it's possible to undo it ?)

Sorry... Nope, i have no idea how to remove. Try to press ones more or ask one of moderators to remove.

I removed the "best response" marking.

Thank you!

Not working for me either.

I have a Hungarian Excel. It says invalid locations ("Érvénytelen helyek"), and the cities are listed from the first column.

:(

There is a way to map city data in Excel and after playing around with this for hours I figured it out, wrote it up and created a video 

https://www.urtech.ca/2019/01/solved-video-easy-way-to-plot-cities-on-a-map-using-excel/ 

I hope this helps... I would have saved me a pile of frustration.