Bing in Excel Maps

Copper Contributor

Hi, 

I am currently making a statistics map for Germany's regions, and Excel is a great help but unfortunately when I try to add statistics to its region "Thüringen / Thuringia" Bing cannot find it, and therefore, Excel doesn't display it on the map.

Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

11 Replies
Hello,

I experienced the same thing recently such that Bing Service couldn't locate a particular region when creating Filled Maps.

Just a workaround, in that cell with the region name, add comma and Germany i.e Thüringen, Germany.

Then, run the map again, it should recognize that region. But if it didnt recognize yet, then you have to send Frown message to Microsoft from File > Feedback. They will look into it and fix the issue.

Cheers

@aekormishin Couldn't replicate your problem. Created a region map for Germany, using the region names found for Germany by the geography data type. It lists 16 regions (including Thuringia) and all seem to plot on the map. See attached.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks for the file! It worked just fine. However, when I tried to follow the manual on Office 365 support, there was an advice to define the data as Geographical, that's what I did. In attachment you can find my file. Thuringia is still not recognised by Bing Map in there.

@aekormishin I see! But one does not have to data type everything as "geography", proven by my example. Don't know why the support pages insist that to do the data typing first.

Thanks anyway! You saved me :)

@aekormishin 

It's better not to complicate, Map Charts is much more sensitive to column names and fulfillment of data. Check two charts at the bottom - one is with adding the country, another not. All the rest is the same, but second one doesn't recognize Hamburg.

As for Thuringia, Geography data types recognizes it only as Thüringen (I guess that is correct German name), but not as German state, as municipality in Austria. Most probably the issue is here.

@aekormishin 

Das gleiche Problem habe ich beim Landkreis "Rhein-Erft-Kreis". Excel findet den Landkreis nicht (auch nicht in anderer Schreibweise). Die Gemeinden des Landkreises sind lediglich mit dem Regierungsbezirk Köln verknüpft.

@NoStadt Went to bing Maps and asked for driving directions to Rhein-Erft-Kreis. In a location picker, it displayed the name Erftkreis, Bachem.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 13.25.32.png

Riny_van_Eekelen_0-1610109099668.png

Entered that name into Excel, data typed it as Geography. Although the county was not recognised, I did get a map of the county that I believe is for Rhein-Erft-Kreis. Don't ask me why or how, but this just proves that the mapping function is far from perfect in some parts of the world. File attached.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Geography tools in Excel don't like places which were renamed in previous 20-30 years and quite often don't recognize them. If only they are not in USA..

Wiki says that in 1975 Bergheim and Cologne districts were merged and named as Erftkreis,  in 2003 it was renamed to Rhein-Erft-Kreis.

@Sergei Baklan Great. Hope that @NoStadt will be able to get it to work. As said, it just proved that this tool is not very reliable and that it requires some creativity to make this "feature" work properly outside the US.

@Riny_van_EekelenIt works thank you!