Big arrow in Excel

Copper Contributor
I have an excel document with a remark (with the small red corner). When I copy the file to my desktop and open it the remarks turn into big white/yellow arrows.
How can I change this?
5 Replies

@Den781715 

If the blue arrows on folders or files suddenly appeared, you have probably switched on drive compression. The following steps show you how to remove the blue arrows from individual or all folders and files.

Remove blue arrows from all folder and file symbols

1. Use the key combination "Windows + E" to open the file explorer and select the drive on which the files and / or folders with the blue arrow are located.
  2. Right click with the mouse on the drive name, the "Properties" will open.
  3. In the drive properties, switch to the "General" area, deactivate the check mark next to "Compress this drive to save disk space" and click "OK".
  4. Then confirm the process by selecting "Apply changes to drive, subfolders and files" for the selected drive and clicking on "OK".
  5. The blue arrows next to folder and file symbols should be gone. Sometimes, however, this can still take a certain amount of time, as Windows 10 first has to decompress the relevant data.

Remove blue arrows from individual folder and file symbols

1. To remove blue arrows from an individual folder or file symbol, right-click on it and select "Properties".
  2. Under "General", click "Advanced" at the bottom under "Attributes".
  3. In the "Extended Attributes" window, remove the check mark next to "Compress content to save storage space" and confirm with "OK".
  4. Then apply the change with "OK" in the properties dialog.
  5. Then confirm the process by selecting "Apply changes to drive, subfolders and files" for the selected drive and clicking on "OK".
  6. The blue double arrow should be gone. Sometimes this can take a while, because Windows 10 first has to decompress the affected data.

Here is the link with the photos and text (in German).

I would be happy to know if I could help.

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

Was the answer useful? Mark them as helpful!

This will help all forum participants.

Unfortunately that didn't help, the checkmark was already checked out.
I attached a screenshot.

@Den781715 

As for this arrow, I cannot comment on it without the file. It can have various causes.

From inserted picture in comment to VBA code.

However, under this link you will find how the comments can be suppressed.

If you delete this, the arrow will probably go away, it is probably included as an image in the comments.

Insert or delete a comment

Briefly described:
Select the area from which you want to delete all comments. Activate the following command sequence in the ribbon: Home tab -> Edit command group -> Delete command. A new menu will now open. Click here on the entry Delete comments.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

No that didn't help.
I don't want to delete all remarks because I need them.
Someone send me another excel (he sees normal remarks) but when I download it and open it I see big yellow/white arrows when I stand with my mouse on the remark...really frustrating

@Den781715 

My knowledge is just limited that I cannot more guess where the problem could be coming from. Unfortunately, I cannot help you any further.

But with your permission and if I may recommend you, insert the file (without sensitive data) and explain step by step what exactly your problem is. In this way, you can come up with a proposed solution much faster and more precisely and the users who want to help do not need to waste a lot of time (which may need another user) to understand the problem.

A win-win situation for everyone involved.

Knowledge of the operating system and the Excel version would be an advantage.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE