basic help: how to sort a mail merge address list

Copper Contributor

Hi we are working on sending out letters and have a mailmerge list of names and addresses.  every piece of data is int a separate column on the same row.  how do we sort the list alphabetically by last name and keep all the other column values associated with that name in the same order.  Some last names are duplicate...but the first names differ as do the addresses.  we really need to keep all our rows intact.

I'm sure this is a very simple solution...but we are not tech people in our non profit org.  thanks for any assistance

2 Replies
highlight the cells with data
Data Menu
Sort
if you have headers tick the box and the drop downs will show the information from the top row, if not then don't tick and you just tell it which column to sort by
If you want to do Surname and then 1st name then you can add a level, top one surname, 2nd row should be 1st name

@Roselle1 

Hello,
The example you mentioned and as I understand it should not only be better created with a database instead of Excel, but it is actually an Access solution.

Excel has the advantage that it is used by many and can quickly create simple tables. As soon as you need look-up values (activities for this customer, insert telephone, etc.), you should switch from Excel to Access as a matter of urgency. For this you need a real database with 1: n relationships and better form capabilities.

There may be ShareWare solutions that already meet your needs, but the more extensive your requirements, the safer there is a lot of work (and therefore costs) involved.

Unless someone here has already made a solution in this direction that he would like to share.

Nikolino
I know that I don't know (Socrates)