SOLVED

Axis Alignment

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I've attached an example file of what I am trying to achieve. Tab 1 shows how my data is currently aligned along with a graph which I want to use. 

Tab 2 shows a different design of the data and graph, which I also want to use but wondered if this graph could be achieved using the data structured within Tab 1? I've done some Googling, but couldn't find a solution so thought it would be worth seeing if anyone can validate whether or not this can be achieved!

Thank you!

5 Replies

@E_D123 

As far as I know, you do have to use the data layout as on Tab 2; you won't get that chart using the daya layout of Tab 1.

best response confirmed by E_D123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@E_D123 

The key to this might be the fact that the chart calculation engine does not require range references; it will also accept named arrays.  I would need to remind myself whether 'Tab 1'!Series1 is a legal name for a chart series or whether something else needs to be dreamt up.  The presentation of the data restructuring will also appear rather different in 365 and legacy Excel.  Something else that I have never tried, is to enter a 2D array rather than individual series; it may work but I wouldn't be too hopeful there.

Thanks Peter for the response, I've since altered the approach to avoid creating a lengthily process. I initially wasn't sure if there was a function within excel which I missed and could support.
Thanks Hans for the response, I've since altered the approach to avoid creating a lengthily process. I initially wasn't sure if there was a function within excel which I missed and could support.

@Peter Bartholomew

Yes Really appreciate it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by E_D123 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@E_D123 

The key to this might be the fact that the chart calculation engine does not require range references; it will also accept named arrays.  I would need to remind myself whether 'Tab 1'!Series1 is a legal name for a chart series or whether something else needs to be dreamt up.  The presentation of the data restructuring will also appear rather different in 365 and legacy Excel.  Something else that I have never tried, is to enter a 2D array rather than individual series; it may work but I wouldn't be too hopeful there.

View solution in original post