AVEDEV function?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

CONTEXT

I am building a database for my website oneformula.org about a format for driver performance ranking IN Formula 1. I have completed a sheet "DATA" (see attachment) with : driver name/year/grand prix/race result. (columns B:H).

PROBLEM

I want to see the level of competition of each season in Formula 1 (1950-2020).  I use the points spread between drivers in a single season. I converted the 6 different points systems -used from 1950-2020- into one systems - apples to apples. I understand that the function AVEDEV can give me the points spread between drivers in a single season and hence the level of competition

QUESTION

Is AVEDEV the right function for this? How can I use the data on the "DATA" sheet to get this points spread per season? 

Thank you for your time.

I have added a sheet "SEASONS" as an example of the points earned in single seasons. 

5 Replies

@HansExcel Perhaps a simple Pivot Table does what you need. I added a column ( col R ) to the DATA sheet for Total Points. Not really sure how to interpret AVEDEV. Am not a statistics expert, sorry.

See attached.

By the way, I've entered another formula in column S. Then you don't need all the IF formulae for the first 10 placements.

Dank je @Riny_van_Eekelen

The S column is really helpful. Will need to talk to a statistics expert indeed on the competition issue

Warm regards 

Hi Riny
Ik heb geprobeerd om je formule in kolom S te begrijpen, maar kan op internet niets daarover vinden. Kun je me uitleggen hoe hij werkt? Dank je

@HansExcel Ik werk uitsluitend met de engelse versie van Excel, dus voor mij ziet de formula er zo uit:

=IFERROR(CHOOSE(F2,12,10,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1),0)

CHOOSE kijkt naar de waarde in F2. Als dat 1 is, dan kiest de formula de eerste waarde uit de reeks die volgt (dus 1=12, 2=10 etc. neer tot 10=1). Als de waarde groter is dan 10 of een tekst zoals "ab" of "dsq" dan geeft de formula een foutcode. Met IFERROR( <...formule...> , 0) vang je die op en wordt een 0 weergegeven.

In de Nederlandse Excel ziet hij er zo uit =ALS.FOUT(KIEZEN(F2;12;10;8;7;6;5;4;3;2;1);0)
Wel interessant dat MS support voor deze functie alleen verwijst naar fouten in een formule en niet naar de mogelijkheden zoals jij die gebruikt.
Thxs!