AutoSum not working

Copper Contributor

I've been using Excel with AutoSum for many years.

Recently installed Office 365 and pre-existing spreadsheets are working as usual.

Have just set up a brand new spreadsheet with lots of cells to add.   AUTOSUM IS NOT WORKING!

Have done the following:   Click on cell to show total.  Click AutoSum > cursor through the row of cells to be added.  Press Enter and this formula comes into the cell instead of the total of the numbers in the cells.    =SUM(C8: AD8)

Have gone to File, Options, Formulas, Automatic > no response

Have checked format of all cells to be number, no decimal > no response. 

HELP???????????

Thanks!

44 Replies
Yes, they should autosum in accounting format. Have you used autosum before and do you know how to use it ? Highlight all the cells you want to sum and click autosum and it should add up in the next cell below.

In my case, there was a 'space' with the number. Removing the 'space' fixed the issue for me.

@Tiffany McCarroll   Are you saying that autosum in older versions of Excel have been disabled?

This is because MS Office 365 is the worst product ever released by Microsoft. Nothing works.. It should be pretty simple to click on a Autosum Icon and work. Nope. Not with office 365. Worthless product.

Make sure there are no spaces in your numbers!

I found that, due to copying and pasting from a banking website, i had some extra blank spaces at the ends of numbers.  They don't figure into the autosum function.  Simply paste your column of numbers into Word or similar, and use the find and replace function to find all the spaces and replace with nothing.  Re-paste back into excel and voila!

@Margot Rylah