Automating Data Collection (Instagram Follower count)

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am interning at a company and I am trying to design a dashboard to have an overview on social media performance. One of the graphs is trying to show instagram follower growth over time, and I believe the data collection for this should be fairly easy to automate (compared to other data like engagement, interactions etc). Does anyone know how this can be done?

Many thanks,

Gaurav

3 Replies

Hi @GauravVas.

I need more information. Where do you get the data from?

Micaela

@GauravVas 

I think this can be easily done via the utilization of unofficial Instagram API. I would suggest checking repos on GitHub for this. 

There are tons of sites that are able to not only pull basic data (follower count, profile image) but also are able to download posts, videos, stories, and more. So, there is definitely a simple solution to this. If you see Famium tools, they have tons of free services to download/view Instagram content. I am highly certain they're also utilizing Instagram API from GitHub. 

@GauravVas 

There are a few ways you can automate the collection of Instagram follower data for your dashboard.

One way is to use the Instagram Graph API, which allows you to retrieve data about an Instagram Business or Creator account, including follower count.

You can write a script that uses the API to retrieve the follower count at regular intervals and store it in a database or spreadsheet.

Another way is to use a third-party service that provides social media analytics and data collection.

There are many such services available that can automatically collect data from Instagram and other social media platforms and provide it in a format that can be easily integrated into your dashboard.

I hope this helps!