SOLVED

Automatically changing search or summing ranges

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am trying to create a formula where you enter a week number, in a separate cell and then sum a given number of weeks going forwards from that point, from another separate cell. The idea is that you can just change the values in B2 and F2 and for a given row, different ranges would be summed.

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Screenshot 2022-03-17 122732.jpg

8 Replies

@TrevB This one should work.

=SUM(INDEX(P6:AE6,MATCH($B$2,P$2:AE$2,0)):OFFSET(INDEX(P6:AE6,MATCH(B2,P$2:AE$2,0)),0,$F$2))
best response confirmed by TrevB (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Wow, thank you so much!! I've been fighting this one for hours and just going round in circles

@TrevB Not a very straight-forward formula, but it's was the first that came to mind. If you have Excel for MS365 or 2021, there are (most likely) a dozen other approaches to this case. 

@TrevB 

I only code for 365 so my solutions might be

= LET(
      k, SEQUENCE(1,12,0),
      p, XMATCH(CurrentWeek, weekNum),
      s, INDEX(amount, p+k),
      SUM(s)
   )
= LET(
      p, XLOOKUP(CurrentWeek, weekNum, amount),
      q, XLOOKUP(CurrentWeek+11, weekNum, amount),
      r, p:q,
      SUM(r)
   )
= LET(
      crit1, ">="&CurrentWeek,
      crit2, "<="&(CurrentWeek+11),
      SUMIFS(amount, weekNum, crit1, weekNum,crit2)
   )

Of those, it is SUMIFS that could be made to work in older versions of Excel.

Thanks Peter, that is beyond my knowledge base, i tried XLOOKUP, but failed miserably when i tried to change the summed range

@TrevB 

Firstly, are you using Excel 365 (or 2021)?

Then, do you wish to apply the formula to more than a single row?

Hi Peter,

I'm on Office 365, and I must admit i have just adjusted the ranges and used Riny's formula which has worked perfectly for what i need. Thank you for the attached example, i will have a study. thanks again for your time.

@TrevB SUMIFS had slipped my mind (thx Peter)!!

I believe you find this formula easier to work with than my original INDEX/MATCH/OFFSET monster.

=SUMIFS(P6:AF6,P$2:AF$2,">="&$B$2,P$2:AF$2,"<="&$B$2+$F$2)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TrevB (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Wow, thank you so much!! I've been fighting this one for hours and just going round in circles

View solution in original post