Automatic data sorting based on cell value

Copper Contributor

I'm making a worksheet for work and I need some assistance with sorting my data.

I've already managed to sort my data based on cell value through data validation. The cells are color coded between values "YES", "WAITING", "NO" and "ENDED" with a drop-down list.

I've managed to get the whole row to change color based on cell value in the data validated column.

I have customized sorting first by data validated column value ("YES" first, then "WAITING", "NO" and "ENDED") and then from A-Z 

Is there a way for me to get my data to automatically sort itself so that when I change the value from "YES" to "NO", the whole row automatically moves down to "NO"-section or when I change the value from "WAITING" to "YES", the whole row moves up in alphabetical order as described in the customized sorting?

I've tried almost any keyword and key phrase I can think of but Google isn't helping me. I'm no savant when it comes to Excel, every single formula I've managed to insert to this worksheet is purely thanks to Google :D

1 Reply

@miljasini 

What you're describing makes sense, in some ways, but also raises questions. Could I ask:

• how many rows are you dealing with here?
  • how do you find the item(s) that you want to change?

If you've got a LOT (hundreds or more) of rows in total, it might make more sense to have one sheet you use as an Input sheet, and another as the Output.

• The former--the Input sheet--would be all in alphabetical order by Project or Product (or Whatever) Name, regardless of the Y,N,W,E code associated. That's where you'd change or update various items, including the YNWE codes.
  • The latter--the Output sheet--would draw from the former where, by means of the SORT function, items would automatically be sorted in whatever order you wanted, dynamically and in real time. All of your color coding could be included as well.

This kind of design follows the practice of separating input from output. You've made it trickier by using one sheet to accomplish both ends of the process; workable so long as the number of rows is limited, but more and more awkward as more items need to be tracked.

Here are two resources where you can learn about the new (you will need the 2019 or newer version of Excel). 

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...