Automated decision tree

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to create a workbook that will point to specific cells (outcomes) based on initial selection criteria. For example, I have the option of using Tubing A or Tubing B, and will need this Length A or Length B, with either Course Threads or Fine Threads. If you select Tubing A, with Length B, Fine Threads, it will point you to part number X, but if you choose Tubing A, Length B, but Course Threads, you get part number Y. The real life application has many, many more variables. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. What is this called and what types of Excel tools will I need to learn?

1 Reply

@Jmanson 

Much depends on how the raw database is laid out.

From what you have described, I'd be inclined to start with some of the new Dynamic Array functions, notably FILTER. Here's a YouTube video that Microsoft delivered to explain these. Note, they do require the most current version of Excel, but they're powerful enough that it would be worth your while to upgrade if you've not already done so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

A LOT will depend on how you have your data organized to begin with. If you want further help, it would help us help you if you could post a copy of the spreadsheet as you currently have it.

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...