Autofill from list

Copper Contributor

I'm looking to take a project which has two dates associated with it, put all of them into one set of columns and then use those to track additional data with. 
My biggest issue is getting the list of date/projects made and then taking that data to my "Summary" sheet and making it so that when new projects are added, the rows and projects don't get mixed up.

2 Replies

@Xiiharu 

It's not clear (to me, at any rate) why you don't just enter the data in the first place in the format shown on your summary page. It can always be sorted (Data....Sort...) so that it doesn't get mixed up.

Can you explain the necessity, if any, for entering data one way but basically using it in another (and fairly stable or consistent) fashion?

There no doubt are ways to use Data Filter, or other capabilities, to accomplish what you're asking; I'm wanting an explanation of how that specific request makes sense. There are other ways you could track the projects using various database functions, filters, sorts, etc. But let's take a look at the basic design first, if you don't mind.

@mathetes The main reason is that I'm being asked to keep the input data and the display data separate from each other. My thoughts to achieve this was to do 

1. have the data combined into a new column and then have the summary sheet read off of that. or

2. Have the Summary sheet read from the data in the Data Entry tab and drag fill the formula in but I don't know if you can drag fill alternate lines. I was gonna try to do A2, B2, A3, B3, A4, etc. However when I try I get, the data in, all I get is A2, B2, A4, B4, A6, B6, etc.
I also need the Summary tab to keep the cell color when it is moved to the new page. This is one of the bigger reasons I need this.