Autocomplete not working for data validation

Brass Contributor

At work we have a shared excel sheet (we open it on the web) and we use it to store data.

We had it set up with data validation list's and when we typed into the boxes, it would autocomplete one of the options. Now, you have to click the down box then start typing because autocomplete has stopped working.

Autocomplete is still checked in options, and everything is still the same setting that it was previously as far as anyone can tell. 

Please help!

73 Replies

@Mollierosemac I have the same problem and it's driving me crazy! I'd love any solutions to allow me to return to autocomplete.

Same problem, following for resolution.
same problem....
I was struggling with this as well.
I have found a work around that help my team.
Try to click into the cell select the dropdown chevron then start to type. The auto complete should start to work.
I am have the same issue today.
I was struggling with this as well.
I have found a work around that help my team.
Try to click into the cell select the dropdown chevron then start to type. The auto complete should start to work.

Same issue here; following for resolution. 

This is driving me crazy as well! Microsoft better have a quick solution for this. Hoping its just an update glitch, that they'll resolve soon.

We do this too, but found we save so much time when we can just click tab to the next box, type, then tab to the next; rather than clicking and typing! Thanks for the heads up but hopefully there is a resolution to the issue @Josh_71288 

Same here. Is this a new break in Excel online? This post looks very new and my end users said this just started happening. I'm goin going to put in a support ticket with MS to let them know.
Correct! It has only started happening about roughly 1 week ago
Thanks for the heads up! I'll add that to the ticket along with this thread.
Great thank you so much :)

Same issue - autocomplete not working as of 7 April.

Yep, the same for me, and I really want to have it back.
Just to underline... It's not working for online Excel, where we don't need to download updates.
Hope Microsoft will fix it as soon as possible.
And me. Just irritating when things change unexpectedly and for the worse.
S

@speirce Same here. I got bombarded with messages from my end users first thing on a Monday morning. Way to start the week. 

Nothing in the message center about the issue this morning so I moved forward with putting in a ticket with MS. If you have that capability, I would recommend you do the same so that their AI will pick up on it. I titled mine "Autocomplete not working for data validation columns in Excel Online".

I will keep you all posted on this form.

following this as I am having the same issue hoping someone gets a solution.