Auto populating in table #SPILL! error

Brass Contributor

I am working on an expense spreadsheet. All expenses and their info are dumped into a sheet called "Itemized Expenses"; on another sheet called "Monthly Expenses", I want it to auto populate the G/L Code, SBU, and Category into the table. The way I've been doing that is by having the following codes in the G/L Code column, SBU, and Category, respectively:

=IF([@SBU]="","",IFS([@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$2,Sheet1!$T$2,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$3,Sheet1!$T$3,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$4,Sheet1!$T$4,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$5,Sheet1!$T$5,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$6,Sheet1!$T$6,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$7,Sheet1!$T$7,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$8,Sheet1!$T$8,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$9,Sheet1!$T$9,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$10,Sheet1!$T$10,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$11,Sheet1!$T$11,[@SBU]=Sheet1!$U$12,Sheet1!$T$12))
=IF(D6<>"", UNIQUE(FILTER('ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!$G:$G, 'ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!$J:$J=D6, 'ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!$G:$G<>"")), "")
=IFERROR(INDEX(UNIQUE(FILTER('ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!J:J, 'ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!J:J<>"")), MATCH(0, INDEX(COUNTIF($D$5:D5, UNIQUE(FILTER('ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!J:J, 'ITEMIZED EXPENSES'!J:J<>""))),,), 0)), "")

Explanation of formulas' desired functionality:

G/L Code - return the G/L Code of the matching category from "Itemized Expenses" (should return values on the same row)

SBU - return a unique list of SBU's based on the category within each SBU from the "Itemized Expenses" sheet

Category - return a unique list of Categories from the "Itemized Expenses" sheet

The problem I'm running into is that each SBU has their own category; but some SBU's share similar categories. (i.e., Corporate Services and General and Admin SBU's both have their own "Office Expenses" category).

Screenshot 2023-04-06 103009.png

(G/L Codes and "Requested By" have been hidden due to sensitive information; "Check Amount" isn't hidden since true numbers were changed for this image)

Because of this, I get some '#SPILL!' errors since the formula is trying to return a list of all SBU's that match that category.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 102607.png

The whole reason why the expenses need to be organized this way to calculate the monthly expenses; there will be multiple expenses for each SBU Category so we want them to be divided out (hopefully that makes sense)

Is there a way to fix this '#SPILL!' error by fixing my formulas? Or should I populate the information differently?

2 Replies

@LilYawney 

How to correct a #SPILL! error

#SPILL errors are returned when a formula returns multiple results, and Excel cannot return the results to the grid. For more details on these error types, see the upper link.

Those solutions won't fix the problem since the data needs to be in a table; I'm using slicers to filter out the large amounts of data that are going to be inputted.