Auto Populate Help

Copper Contributor

I have an excel file with many sheets, each a different job number that contains who worked that job, the date and hours, regular and overtime. I would like to be able to add new info without having to search the job, then search the worker, then add lines and add the info. I would like to have a new sheet where I type the worker name, job, date and hours and have it auto populate to the corresponding sheet (Job Numbers) and add the date and hours, and any new workers on that job. I've tried a few ways with auto populate and I tried Access some but I really am not sure whats the best way. I've attached a simplified sample file that is just like the one I use. Timecards - Sample Thanks

1 Reply
What you should do is change how you do it. Make a master input table for all jobs (basically similar to your desired input tab but fill in all cells on each line). Then you can either use a pivot table or the Filter functions to show you the 'reports' for individual jobs. This will also make it easy to show a 'report' for individual workers across jobs, or an overall report over a month or year or any other timeframe. You can even create fancy looking reports with different types of summaries and such that just pull data from that master table. The worksheet can then have 1 tab for all data, and then maybe a tab set-up as a 'Job Report' where you can filter based on Job number and all the summary info will be formatted all nice and all. Maybe another tab for 'Monthly Report' . etc.... You can also have a tab/table for Employees and another tab/table for Jobs. In this way you could get even more fancy and do reports based on only part-time employees or only Jobs that started in the last 3 months, etc... But that might be more than you need right now.