Auto fill new rows from one workbook to another

Copper Contributor

I would like to auto fill new rows in a workbook when new entries are done in another workbook with only a select number of columns. 

4 Replies

@mariahunt1959 

You would need to give a few more details in order for anything but the most general suggestions to be made. And if possible even post a copy of the workbooks you have in mind. (Without any confidential information).

In the absence of more detailed information, let me point you in the direction of one possible solution by means of suggesting you view the attached video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9DtFOVPIg

Learn everything about our brand-new Dynamic Arrays and how you can use them to build advanced spreadsheets. Arrays (CSE) have long been present in Excel, but were limited to power users. With Dynamic Arrays we have rebuilt the calc engine, effectively turning all formulas into array formulas ...

Thank you Mathetes. Great video!

Here's the example:

We have a large spreadsheet with sales information, where each time a salesperson has a new sale, they enter the unique identifier for that sale with all the pertinent information, name, date, company, etc.

I would like to create a formula in the invoice spreadsheet that whenever a new row in sales is added, the identifier, name and company is automatically added to the invoice spreadsheet.

Thank you,

Maria Hunt

@mariahunt1959 

Again, without seeing the actual spreadsheet--rather than just a few words that provide at best a very general description--it's hard to give anything but the most general of suggestions.

How familiar are you with Excel? My guess, since you're asking this question, is that you're fairly unfamiliar. One of the most popular functions is VLOOKUP. The appropriate use of VLOOKUP could well do what you've described, looking up the relevant data from each row in that sales information sheet and populating the appropriate cells in the Invoice spreadsheet.

XLOOKUP is also available, a newer and more powerful function.

And then, too, there's MailMerge, with Excel serving as the source data and Word as the creator of the Invoice. Going that route would give you a LOT more flexibility with the layout and look of the invoice, a more professional result.

If you are able to provide either the actual spreadsheets you're working with, or a mockup or two with dummy data, somebody here could give more specific and direct solutions. Short of that, here's another internet source with descriptions of the lookup functions I've mentioned.

https://exceljet.net/search?query=lookup

@mariahunt1959 That would involve defining the 

[ large spreadsheet with sales information, where each time a salesperson has a new sale, they enter the unique identifier for that sale with all the pertinent information, name, date, company, etc.] to be formatted as an excel Table.

Then

Using a Function in a formula that has the spill feature to populate the details of the invoice such as Vlookup(). We can't suggest anything specific unless you provide us with a map of what your spreadsheet looks like otherwise our suggested specific formula will not work due to lack of the geographic information about your specific solution.

We have to know what your spreadsheet looks like in order to know where what field is in which row and in which column to suggest a specific application of the formula.

cheers