Auto fill data from a list of information

Copper Contributor

Hello I was looking for a bit of help to create a excel document to make my job a little easier when I send parts out to heat treatment. What I am trying to do is I have a list of part numbers which have the specs for the heat treatment process for my parts and up to now I have simply copy/paste these manually each week depending what i'm shipping out. What I would really like to do is have all that information typed on a list and then all I do in the excel document is say type in the part number and have the remaining information filled out for me. Is this able to be done in excel and if so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have about 200 different items that would have to be entered in the list of possible parts I send out if that makes one way work better then another.

HTSpecs.png

3 Replies

@HDFanboy  Hi, I have attached a sample file of what I used to use to select data from different Oil Rigs. The drop down list is linked to the rig names on the Rig Data tab, the fairlead offset values are updated from the appropriate rig details (a named range called Rigs). Should be easy to follow and should suit the type of thing you want to do.

Thanks so much for your help. I’ll give it a try ASAP.

@Rich99 

I managed to get the document working perfectly the way I wanted. I simply type in the part number and the remaining data is entered automatically which will save me a ton of time each week. Took me a while to work out that I had to use a different formula for each column instead of how I started out selecting multiple columns expecting it to work like that. Thanks so much for the help.