SOLVED

Auto debit payment on or after set date of month

Iron Contributor

I need a formula that will input into a cell a negative number and keep it that way until a set date has arrived and then change it to a positive number and keep it positive thereafter.

For instance, my Netflix payment is auto-debited from my banking account on the 15th of each month. Instead of entering that payment manually, a formula that would auto-enter that payment (keeping it negative until it is paid, keeping it positive after being paid) would be nice to have. I have a simple Excel 365 budget sheet (divided into 2 six month (Jan - Jun & Jul - Dec) sections) to track my monthly household payments. Thank you in advance!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by dlcartin (Iron Contributor)
Solution
I would think you mean either $0.00 or the $9.99 fee (or whatever it is), not negative same amount switching to positive.
Here's a formula that refers to a date--I'd put the dates the payments are due in their own column (A4 in this example) next to the Netflix entries.
=IF(A4>TODAY(),0,9.99)
This keeps the value at zero until the date is passed the auto-payment date.
I didn' think to give the due dates their own column. I'll give this a try and see how well it works for my needs. Thank you!
It appears to be working. I have several other payments that are auto-debited from my banking account and have applied this technique & formula, and so far, so good. Thank you, again. (The reason I want to show a negative number before the payment is auto-debited from my account is because I also add all my payments for the month(s) ahead to stay within my budget.) Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by dlcartin (Iron Contributor)
Solution
I would think you mean either $0.00 or the $9.99 fee (or whatever it is), not negative same amount switching to positive.
Here's a formula that refers to a date--I'd put the dates the payments are due in their own column (A4 in this example) next to the Netflix entries.
=IF(A4>TODAY(),0,9.99)
This keeps the value at zero until the date is passed the auto-payment date.

View solution in original post