Arrays

Copper Contributor

I am OLD; my experience is OLD but Microsoft has been classic in respecting the OLD philosophies; the forever working solutions EXCEPT arrays. I really feel like I am missing something because of that maintenance of old time; forever time philosophy. The perfect example of array usage should be calculating skins for a golf game. 

• Rows = players and scores
  • Columns = hole #'s
  • Skin = Unique score by Hole intersection
  • Player = Index of the intersection

Without question, the answer will be using "offset/match", "offset/xmatch", "index/match", etc., etc., etc. But the solution should be simple. I know the row#, column # but a formula that returns that answer takes how many steps? I do not want to use VBA; am I missing something? I should be able to do a "Lookup" type that uses an array of true values back to an array of who had the winning scores. In other words; the whole array would be Players:Scores. Winning Scores would index ONLY the Player / Hole # index. Once upon a time, this function existed; maybe not in excel, access, etc., but quick / easy array functions made coding much easier and straight forward. I really, really hope I am simply missing a function that will accomplish the end result. 

Thanks for reading and pointing me in the right direction. 

1 Reply
Could you please share some sample data along with expected output or better share the workbook,, help us to fix the issue !!