An extremely odd bug in Excel 64 bit. Causing huge problems

Copper Contributor

I have an Excel screen that is populated with images that refer to cell values.  In addition, I have columns of data that are populated with tag names in another sheet of the same workbook.

I have 4 laptops running the same program, two with 1090P and the others being a 2460x1800 and the last one being 4K.

Something first happened with the 4k laptop about 2 weeks ago, the screen populating being slow then resulting in a stack overflow.  The 3 remaining laptops were OK then the 2460 unit started exhibiting the same behavior, was really slow crashing on a stack overflow.  The remaining 2 1080ps are doing fine as of now. I suspended all updates as apparently this is a problem

I;ve narrowed it down to 2 problems.  The 2 bricked excel program computers take over 8 seconds to do the same subroutine - sub mainscreenpopulate() that the other two working computers take only 1.5 seconds to do.  I found that the main time consumption of the non-working excel is simply writing individual cells of another spreadsheet in the same workbook to the main screen spreadsheet.  What to heck is going on?? 

The other problem is that the sub mainscreenpopulate() is apparently called 5 times in succession without the darn sub call finishing.  Indeed, I got a timer at the beginning of the subroutine and timer at the end of the same **bleep** routine and I can see that each time the sub is called it doesn't finishing until about 5 times, then the timer at the end of the sub will start logging!!!???

This is the oddest behavior I've ever seen.   How is it a sub gets called over and over before it is finished?

This is so **bleep** weird I am at my wits end.  I got 2 working computers and 2 non working computers each set exhibiting the same inexplicable things.  Help!!!

3 Replies

@rpbenzI have two other laptops with an I3 that complete this code in less than .15 seconds:

' For I = 0 To 180
' Sheet1.Cells(3 + I, 21) = Sheet2.Cells(k + I, 2).Value & ":"
' Next I

Yet my new I7takes over 6 seconds to do this same code.  The same phenomena is happening with another laptop with an I5.  Why?????

Just a week ago they were doing the same code no problems.  There was an update to excel but they all have the same build now.  I don't get whats going on?  Ive virus checked and now am doing a code rewrite for the screwed up computers using range command but I am worried using Excel might be screwed up

Stay away from Excel Version 1907 (Build 11901.20218)This version totally screwed up my VBA application, causing weird behavior such as incredibly long times when simply writing to cells via a for-next loop:

' For I = 0 To 180
' Sheet1.Cells(3 + I, 21) = Sheet2.Cells(k + I, 2).Value & ":"
' Next I

I spent a good week trying to figure out why the code locked up on one computer but not the other and only resolved the problem by rolling back to Version 1905.  I thought that Microsoft had their act together but apparently they're still having problems with their work. 

@rpbenz Hello! You've posted your question in the Community Discussion space, which is intended for discussion around the Tech Community website itself, not product questions. I'm moving your question to the Excel space - please post Excel questions here in the future.