ALT + ENTER closes all my Excel files

Copper Contributor

Using Windows 10 with Excel 2010, I'm connecting to my desktop via Citrix. When writing in a Excel file, if I want to write more lines in a single cell, to make a list of things: when I hit ALT+ENTER, this closes all my Excel application and files and the screen becomes black. After a while, it shows again my desktop, but then I have to restart Excel and reopen the file. Looks like ALT+ENTER is interpreted as a sort of "shut down the Excel application". Hence I can't write more than one line in the cell (I'm not interested in the Alignement - Wrap Text. I need to write a list). Thanks for your guess . 

2 Replies
Hi. I just encountered this same issue for one of my users that I support. Did you ever find a solution?

@Paolama 

I am using Citrix on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and Citrix 20.02.0.5 to reach my Win10 machine at work.  I have the same problem.  Mac computers use different key combos to try to get a carriage return within a spreadsheet cell, but I can't find a magic combo that works over Citrix.  I even plugged in a Windows keyboard and no combo works there, either. 

About the only difference I have is that it does not close out all my Excel windows; it just doesn't do what I want.  I have to find a cell that already has a carriage return inside it, and carefully cut & paste that into a new cell as a brute-force work-around.  

Hoping this bumps the question up in the forum.  Thanks!