SOLVED

Aid data entry or mandatory cells prompt when a cell is filled

Copper Contributor
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to assist me with my excel project. I want a pop form to appear when a cell is selected, to assist enter data in that cell and several other specific cells, either in that worksheet or other sheets within the same workbook. Or create a series of promting messages requiring completion of few other cells if a certain cell is filled, or something similar to prompt users to fill in multiple data in different locations using just one form.

Thank you.
4 Replies
best response confirmed by Mwandingi_03 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

Could all this be achieved by using data validation rather than a macro? You would be able to set the values for the cell, have an input message when the user selects the cell and have an error alert if invalid data is entered.

Rich

Hi Rich

Thank you for your timeous response. I bet what I want to achieve is too complex for build-in excel functions. I'm leaving it for a while.

By the way, May you kindly assist me with a formula that will return a date in one cell from two cells depending on which cell is filled.

For instance, a date should be returned in Sheet2 A7 from sheet1 A1 if sheet1 A4 is empty (no date filled) or from sheet1 A4 if sheet1 A1 is empty(no date filled) else return an empty cell if both (Sheet1 A1 and A4) are empty.

Thank you.
I think this should do it, just change cell reference as required
=IF(AND(A1="",A4=""),"",IF(AND(A1>0,A4=""),A1,A4))

Rich
Hi Rich,

This makes perfect sense. I will try it some day. I managed by equating the adjacent cell with the empty string("").

Thank you for the timeous response.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Mwandingi_03 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi,

Could all this be achieved by using data validation rather than a macro? You would be able to set the values for the cell, have an input message when the user selects the cell and have an error alert if invalid data is entered.

Rich

View solution in original post