Advanced Excel formula to pull $ based on keywords from 3 different worksheets

Copper Contributor

Hi - I've done basic formulas in Excel but now I need one to pull info from multiple sheets from one column based on a keyword from another column, and sum total it in its destination cell. Example: if column F on worksheet A, B & C has the keyword "utilities", then pull the dollar amount from column D and sum total it in cell B13 on worksheet D.

I'm sure this is possible, I've just not found anything in my searches. I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Karen

8 Replies

@KaKruger 

Simply add the sums for each of the worksheets:

=SUMIF('Sheet A'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet A'!$D$2:$D$1000)+SUMIF('Sheet B'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet B'!$D$2:$D$1000)+SUMIF('Sheet C'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet C'!$D$2:$D$1000)

Substitute the actual names of the sheets, and adjust the ranges if they extend below row 1000.

Thank you @Hans Vogelaar !

I did have to remove the absolutes but then it worked perfectly!

Thanks again

Karen

@Hans Vogelaarcould you be so kind to help me with another? I'm trying now to break down the info from the three worksheets by month the expense occurred - so pulling the same info as last time except only if from column G the specific month is listed. Every time I try a formula it tells me I've added too many actions.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Karen

@KaKruger 

Something like this:

SUMIFS('Sheet A'!$D$2:$D$1000, 'Sheet A'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet A'!$G$2:$G$1000, ">="&DATE(2020, 10, 1), 'Sheet A'!$G$2:$G$1000, "<="&DATE(2020, 10, 31))+SUMIFS('Sheet B'!$D$2:$D$1000, 'Sheet B'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet B'!$G$2:$G$1000, ">="&DATE(2020, 10, 1), 'Sheet B'!$G$2:$G$1000, "<="&DATE(2020, 10, 31))+SUMIFS('Sheet C'!$D$2:$D$1000, 'Sheet C'!$F$2:$F$1000, "utilities", 'Sheet C'!$G$2:$G$1000, ">="&DATE(2020, 10, 1), 'Sheet C'!$G$2:$G$1000, "<="&DATE(2020, 10, 31))

@Hans VogelaarTHANK YOU!!! It worked perfectly! Thanks so much for your help!

Karen

Can you make a formula me if possible. I have to do the sum of instances of different columns in x with keywords such as elopement, functional communication etc occured. Column Y has amount of each word that corresponds to each keywords . I just need the total from each key work column. Thank you

@LaradonDex I would recommend Pivot table over a formula to get these results and so much more, even using the slicer function once you have created the pivot table to further manipulate the data. If you want a formula to just calculate totals for each individual column with text datapoints you can use the =COUNTIF formula or =Sum. 

@LaradonDex 

Could you attach a sample workbook, or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?