Adding date ranges Unique Function

Copper Contributor

I've only started exploring the Unique function and wanted guidance on one aspect. I want to create an inventory list with a date range for when each item will be used. Most items will be used at multiple locations and across multiple dates so the initial list has a bunch of redundancy. I was trying to use the Unique function to identify each individual item but I wanted to have a second column that ties either the locations or date range that those items work at to the unique list.

Exmaple:

Original List:

Apples   Shed  10/15/19

Bananas House 10/12/19

Oranges Shed 10/20/19

Apples House 10/25/19

What I want the Unique list to show:

Apples Shed, House 10/15/19-10/25/19

Bananas House 10/12/19

Oranges Shed 10/20/19

2 Replies

@Chris1805 

That may not be the best example to test UNIQUE, since EVERY item on the initial list ends up being included on your desired outcome list.  You've just rearranged the Apple items, and in a way that's confusing -- the original dates are discrete dates, not a range, but your result shows them as a range.

If that "second column" is what you're wanting help with, then make that clear. It probably would be generated in some way other than via UNIQUE.

Do you have a spreadsheet already? Post it, so I or somebody else here can work with your actual data rather than having to create it.

@mathetes 

I was actually able to accomplish with a pivot table. I can't share my doc because it's work related but thank you for responding!