Adding Columns to a Linked Table?

Copper Contributor

I've created a table in Excel and then copied it into Word so that the two tables are now linked.

When I update data within the table in Excel, it updates the table in the Word doc.

HOWEVER...I need to be able to add more columns to my table in Excel, as my data grows. But when I do that (add additional columns to my table in Excel), the table in the Word doc refuses to add the additional columns...

Is there any way to make this work?  I'm using Excel for Mac, with an Office365 subscription.  

NOTE:  There is a way to make this work; it just looks awful, and I don't want to have my table in my Word doc look like that.  I can make it work by highlighting numerous additional blank columns to the right of my existing table in my Excel doc, and then pasting that into my Word doc.  If I do that, then, yes, in my Excel table, if I add additional columns to my table, then the new columns will be added to my table in the Word doc.  The problem is, when I do that, the table in my Word doc SHOWS all the additional empty columns to the right of the existing data in the table, so it just looks awful in the Word document.  I need a way to do the same thing WITHOUT the empty columns showing up on the right of the existing data in my table.

0 Replies