SOLVED

Adding cell contents from one sheet to another when selected

Copper Contributor

I have a sheet containing several groups of activities/services/materials, quantities and their related prices.  Our project manager uses it to select work requirements on a per apartment unit basis, and the sheet calculates cost amounts per area of activity and in total.  Not all items in a list are selected, as it depends on needed work.  That is what we call our 'work scope generator'.

What I need is to transport the selected items as above to another sheet (4 cells containing work, quantity, price/rate and $ amount), appending items to a new list that will show those 4 cells in a column which is then totaled with taxes.  That will become our 'work estimate generator'.

Is this possible in Excel, and if so, how?  My experience with Excel is moderate, and my research in the help documents hasn't borne fruit.  Any assist will be greatly appreciated.

9 Replies

Hi @DankoSlovak 

Is it possible to provide more information on what items are selected and where do you want the selected items to be transported to?

Cheers

Hi @wumolad, and thank you for replying so quickly!  I have attached a second copy of my spreadsheet where I highlighted in the "Main Form" sheet (yellow and blue on page 1 and red on page 2) examples of the data I'm selecting in the first sheet, and the corresponding locations on the second sheet ("Estimate") where I need the cell contents copied for further calculation.

The worker will be using the 'Main Form' to select various items representing specific work activities and their related costs to generate a "scope of work" document.  The 'Estimate' sheet will show all items selected from the first sheet, to be added together with tax, thus forming a work/materials estimate document that is given to the client.

Please feel free to ask specific questions -- this tool will serve a small enterprise greatly, more so because there is very strong competition in this field.  Thank you again for your time and expertise; I aim to learn much from this experience.

Best regards,

Dan

Hello @wumolad, for some reason my reply to your last question about whether the other expert had helped or not did not go through. Here it is: no, there hasn't been any assistance yet due to a time zone hurdle. Thank you again for looking into this matter for me!

Hello @wumolad, have you had opportunity to look at my request? I need to resolve this soonest.  Many thanks again!

@DankoSlovak 

It's part of my to-do list for today. I will revert once I am done.

Cheers

You are kind, Sir! Merci!
best response confirmed by DankoSlovak (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DankoSlovak 

As discussed, I have updated the workbook [sheet Estimate] so that users can select items based on the classification e.g. Cabinetry or carpentry.

Column D contains the classification and the content was formatted as white font colour so it won't show when printed. Based on classification selected in column D, users then have the ability to choose items under this classification in column E.

Column K contains the unit price of the item selected and this has also been formatted as white font colour. 

Based on the qty inputted in column J, the amount is computed in column L as a product of column J & K.

I saved the file as .xlsm as there was a simple code to clear previous selection when user changes the classification choice.

I hope this solves the issue.

Cheers.

@wumoladI can't thank you enough for your assistance in this project!  Thanks to you, I now have a better understanding of the definition and use of Excel objects and how to properly apply them.  A small construction company in Canada is very grateful for your assistance.

Best regards,

DankoSlovak

@DankoSlovak

So glad the input was very useful.

Regards to everyone and I hope to stop by when I visit Canada.

Cheers
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DankoSlovak (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@DankoSlovak 

As discussed, I have updated the workbook [sheet Estimate] so that users can select items based on the classification e.g. Cabinetry or carpentry.

Column D contains the classification and the content was formatted as white font colour so it won't show when printed. Based on classification selected in column D, users then have the ability to choose items under this classification in column E.

Column K contains the unit price of the item selected and this has also been formatted as white font colour. 

Based on the qty inputted in column J, the amount is computed in column L as a product of column J & K.

I saved the file as .xlsm as there was a simple code to clear previous selection when user changes the classification choice.

I hope this solves the issue.

Cheers.

View solution in original post