Adding a symbol to an existing column of names

Copper Contributor

I want to add a symbol to the end of a column of names so that I can distinguish this list of names from another when uploading to a software program.  I tried adding a column with a symbol in it and merging the cells, but the merge drops the information in the added cell.  Since there are 2000 names in this file, I'm looking for a way to add this symbol in mass.

4 Replies

@Plazhaven 

Sorry, didn't catch. If you'd like to modify in place, that's VBA. If add new column with modified value, when do that for first cell, select entire range and Ctrl+D.

@Sergei Baklan  I am a novice at this.  Can you tell?  I don't understand your answer but I don't think I explained myself well either.  I have 2 separate lists of names (2000 names each) that I am uploading into a specific software system.  List 1 and List 2 need to be distinguishable when in this program and there isn't an option to include a separate column of information in my spreadsheet.  I thought perhaps if I added an asterisk (or other symbol) to the end of the names on List #2, we would be able to recognize which list it came from, i.e; Smith*.   But with 2000 names, I was hoping there might be a way to do it without manually changing each name individually.

@Plazhaven 

Sorry for my stupidity, I still didn't catch. Perhaps you may submit small sample file to illustrate, not with 2000 records, just 2 will be enough. What do you have and what you'd like to have as result.

If you'd like to add any symbol to values in list 2, doesn't matter which one, you may do that with formula in another column, copy and paste it back as values in initial column. Or use VBA to modify values in place.

Or something else?

I will research what VBA is but in the meantime here is an example:
What it looks like now What I want it to look like
John Smith John Smith*
Mary Jones Mary Jones*
Robert Macks Robert Macks*