ADD IN TROUBLE

Copper Contributor

I have a problem with an addin that I developed myself and have been using it for about 6 months. I just upgraded to MS Office 2019. With one particular workbook, this addin seems to cause a problem, in that the workbook opens briefly and shuts down. However, if I remove reference to the addin, open the workbook, add the reference for the addin back, lo and behold, the full functionality is there. However if I saved this workbook with the addin referenced in and then open, it does not work. So right now I am working this workaround by removing the addin reference and save and add it back when I need. Any thoughts, ideas?

Thank you,

RaliR

7 Replies

@RALI-R I would suggest to add breakpoints in your code and step through it to see what part of the code causes the shutdown. Without your add-in and workbook, this is impossible to troubeshoot for us I'm afraid.

@Jan Karel Pieterse ,

Thank you, Jan. Even just opening the workbook with reference to this add in caused it to open and close. But after your note, I added a subroutine to workbooks_open with a stop at the very first line. No go. Same thing happens.

I have been trying various tricks I can think of since I installed Office 2019 about 5 days ago. The same addin works fine with a couple of other workbooks without any issues. I tried renaming it, but no dice. At this point, I am out of ideas and looking for workarounds. The next step in my workaround is to see if I can programmatically add and remove addins.

What really baffles me is that the addin works fine even with this workbook if I add the reference after I open the workbook. I am open to any suggestions you have or anybody else has.

Regards,

RaliR

Does opening the file run anything in the referenced add-in by any chance?

@Jan Karel Pieterse ,

Yes. Indeed. That's why my original panic upon finding the problem eased a bit that I have been able to work around it. Many of my workbook functions are in the add in. Without access to the add in, I have to find a way to reincorporate it back into the workbook. I have been digging into the blogs to see if there is a way to not just add the add in, but add it to the reference. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Without more detailed knowledge about your system it is very hard to advise, I'm sorry.

@Jan Karel Pieterse ,

Yes. Indeed. That's why my original panic upon finding the problem eased a bit that I have been able to work around it. Many of my workbook functions are in the add in. Without access to the add in, I have to find a way to reincorporate it back into the workbook. I have been digging into the blogs to see if there is a way to not just add the add in, but add it to the reference. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Why does the workbook need a reference to the add-in? Are you calling subs and functions from the add-in from within code in the workbook?