Add data to email

Copper Contributor

Hi, I was curious to know how I could add simple numeric data from a spreadsheet to 1 of 2 email templates, e.g.:
data_part#A or data_part#B, data_order#C, data_return_order#D, data_tracking#E
to
(part#A or part#B), order#, sales_order#, tracking#,client#F
in an email something like

"(Part#A or #B) ordered under Sales_Order#C and Return_Order#D with Tracking_#E for Client#F"

It would be awesome if the completed email (Gmail) could be sent too but that's not a requirement.
I'm getting tired of transposing 30-50 of these a day via copy-and-paste or retyping. Thanks in advance.

6 Replies

@music_traveler 

Can you do a screen capture, or image capture of the parts of the screen (the spreadsheet) that you need?

In other words, do you have to send these numbers as text or numbers that the recipients can copy and paste themselves elsewhere? Or would it be just as effective if you sent a picture of the areas of the spreadsheet in question?

If a simple screen capture would work, here's one resource that apparently tells you how to do so, whether with a Mac or a PC

https://www.techsmith.com/blog/how-to-capture-screen-images/

@mathetes 

"In other words, do you have to send these numbers as text or numbers that the recipients can copy and paste themselves elsewhere?"
No, the data would be just be text to populate an email. The email would go to a logistics dept that would set items up for shipping.
I'd set up a simple spreadsheet that would include each data point needed.

This is a sample email:

"A {thingy} been ordered under [Data A] ([Data B])

Please transfer (1) {thingy} into stock
Fedex return label [Data C]_[Data A]_[Data D]_#[Data B].pdf has been attached

Ops,
Please expedite [Data D] once the transfer order is received and print ticket to the warehouse."

Do you need more info? Thank you for the reply.

@music_traveler 

What you describe could be done with Word's MailMerge, creating a Word doc, using Excel as the data source, and then you simply send the Word doc as an email attachment.

It's also possible, I would suppose, that there are utilities out there that would facilitate a mail merge type of process directly into an email. I'd have to research that on the internet, but you can also do that if the Word MailMerge would be too cumbersome.

@music_traveler  I recommend looking at this youtube video.  The author does a great job and shares a macro that I think is very useful and might help you.  Basically he creates the mail merge features of Word in Excel macro, which give much more flexibility.  Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URF3ikW0Svc 

@mathetes    Thank you again for your reply.
I found what seems to be a method of doing this using Google Sheets (barf). I was hoping to use a real product like Excel rather than the Fisher-Price variety. I'll give that a try despite my reluctance. Thank you again, @mathetes 

@mtarler  !!! Thanks! I'll look into this later this morning! Looks similar to what @mathetes discussed earlier.