Add a new customer to a list of customers in a table

Copper Contributor

I use a sheet just for gathering customer information for new customers. I use this to feed information to sheets that generate bids for the 4 services I offer. Cells B3-B7 are Named Cells.

new customer.png

I'd like to copy this information (above) to a list of customers in a table on a separate sheet (below). This way, when I work for a customer on future jobs and do the exact same job I can run a macro to copy information from the table back to the cells in the screenshot above. From here I can quickly generate a bid for my services at current prices, and I don't have to worry about typing in the wrong information.

customer list.png

So my question is: how do I copy Nicole's information to row 6, the next customer's information to rows7, etc with a macro?

9 Replies

formular

=torow(B3:B7)

vba:

arr=transpose(range(b2:b7))

With Sheets("list")

r = .Range("a65536").End(3).Row + 1
.Cells(r, 1).Resize(1, 5) = arr

End With

VBA script for Excel. Let's break it down step by step.

First, the line `arr=transpose(range(b2:b7))` is attempting to transpose the range `B2:B7`. Transposing a range means to switch its rows and columns. However, the syntax should be `Application.Transpose(.Range("B2:B7").Value)` if you are working with VBA and want to store the transposed values in the variable `arr`.

Next, the script seems to be trying to find the last used row in column A of the "list" sheet and then paste the transposed array `arr` starting from that row in the first column and extending across 5 columns.

Assuming the `transpose` part is corrected as suggested above, the code could be updated to achieve this:

```vba
Sub YourSubroutineName()
Dim arr As Variant
arr = Application.Transpose(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2:B7").Value)

With Sheets("list")
r = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
.Cells(r, 1).Resize(1, UBound(arr)) = arr
End With
End Sub
```

This modified code will find the last used row in column A of the "list" sheet and then paste the transposed array `arr` starting from that row in the first column and extending across 5 columns based on the size of the `arr` array.

@peiyezhu, this doesn't work. I adapted the code to use the name of my sheets ("New Customer" and "All Customers"), but nothing is copied to the bottom of the All Customers sheet/table --  is this code included below?

Sub Copy_To_Customer_List()

Dim arr As Variant
arr = Application.Transpose(Sheets("New Customer").Range("B3:B7").Value)

With Sheets("All Customers")
End With

End Sub

Re:but nothing is copied to the bottom
Does any error occur?

Dim arr As Variant
msgbox join(arr,",")

End With

End Sub
Have you tried below:
arr=transpose(range(b3:b7))

With Sheets("list")

r = .Range("a65536").End(3).Row + 1
.Cells(r, 1).Resize(1, 5) = arr

End With

Dim arr As Variant

.Cells(r, 1) = arr(0)
.Cells(r, 2) = arr(1)
.Cells(r, 3) = arr(2)
End With

End Sub

@peiyezhu the code works, but I've changed things around a little.

First, I changed the "New Customer" sheet so there is no need to transpose cells. I like the data entry cells (B3-B11) to be spaced a bit so it's harder to accidentally tap on the incorrect cell when typing on my Surface Go's screen.

ccwindows_0-1717278645361.png

Second, for the "All Customers" sheet I've add a column named "Cust No" (customer number) so I can use use XLOOKUP to return a customer based on the customer number. Since customer numbers exist before new customers are added, the code adds a new customer to the first empty row after customer number 1000 (B1004), which is almost what I want. What code do I need to have a new customer (i.e. Nicole Blackwood) added to B5:F5, the next customer to C5:F5 and so on?

ccwindows_1-1717278645440.png

@ccwindows 

@peiyezhu the code works, but I've changed things around a little.

First, I changed the "New Customer" sheet so there is no need to transpose cells.

What do you mean no need to transpose cells?

All by hard coding like below:

arr[0]=[B3]

arr[1]=[B5]

arr[2]=[B7]

That is OK but not elegant for further maintain.

I like the data entry cells (B3-B11) to be spaced a bit

You can set a bigger number size to the height of each row rather than insert a blank row.

so it's harder to accidentally tap on the incorrect cell when typing on my Surface Go's screen.

What code do I need to have a new customer (i.e. Nicole Blackwood) added to B5:F5, 

Dim arr As Variant
msgbox join(arr,",")

'here changed to last row according to column B
'r = .Range("A" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

r=.Range("B" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
'.Cells(r, 1).Resize(1, UBound(arr)) = arr

'fill start from B column

.Cells(r, 2).Resize(1, UBound(arr)) = arr
End With

End Sub

That solved the problem, thanks!
You are welcome.