Adapt a Template

Copper Contributor

I downloaded a template (Employee attendance record) that has 5 sheets.  The first a Calendar view showing days on leave, working days, # sick days, vacation, bereavement, and other. the second sheet with leave dates and reason, showing number of days off.  The Third sheet, showing employees. The fourth sheet showing reasons, and the fifth sheet showing holidays.

My attempt is to repurpose the workbook to show scheduled positions, and to graph, or show in the: days on leave, working days, # sick days, vacation, bereavement, and other as positions.  As is, the days on leave, working days, # sick days, vacation, bereavement, and other are color coded, which is fine, with the exception of Sundays.  Sundays could have 2 different positions - needing 2 different colors.

What are your thoughts?  I would prefer not to start from scratch, as I like the setup.

13 Replies

@JasonRoBear 

Could you attach a small sample workbook based on the template (without sensitive data), or if that is not possible, make it available through OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or similar?

Then, in your reply, please indicate in more detail what you would like to change/add.

@Hans Vogelaar 

I could send you a short video that I made.

@JasonRoBear 

I have received the template, I'll take a look later today.

@JasonRoBear 

OK, could you explain in more detail what you want, or post that video?

@Hans Vogelaar 

Calendar View: I am not interested in Days on leave or working days.  The colored options: # sick days, vacation, bereavement, and other - I would like to reflect "positions."  Each color to represent a different position (from the Positions tab).  On Sunday's, the possibility to have 2 positions/colors.  Add a graph if possible.

Sentinel Team Positions: Start date and end date are unnecessary together.  Only 1 date is needed (with the exception of Sunday).  I would like to be able to extend the list, making sure to encompass a busier month.  Days (count) is not necessary as is.  If it counted the person and how many positions (days), that would be more productive.

Sentinel Team Members: Seems to be ok.

Position(s): Seems to be ok.

Holidays: Not necessary.

At a glance, I would like to be able to see the frequency of a position per person, as well as graph it out over time.

@JasonRoBear 

This is going to be complicated, it'll take time.

@JasonRoBear 

I adjusted the calendar view sheet to display the positions for the selected employee.

Two positions on a Sunday is too complicated it would necessitate too much redesigning.

I'm trying to learn myself. I really appreciate the help!
ahh! I figured it might be a bit complicated to do the Sundays. I just realized something in your edit. Being that the calendar view is an annual display, Will the "Sentinel Team Positions" need to be adjusted, or will it automatically accommodate all information being input?

Thank you for your hard work!

@JasonRoBear 

The data on the Sentinel Team Position sheet are in a table. When you need to add new data, for example in another year, add new rows to the table: click in the bottom right cell of the table and press Tab to add a new row.

The Calendar View sheet will accommodate the new rows automatically.

I see your updated version, but it hasn't updated on my end.

@JasonRoBear I attached my version to a previous reply, it will not affect your version directly.

I believe it will accommodate.