Activating Macros on an Excel Spreadsheet in Excel for Mac environment

Copper Contributor

A group I am involved with utilizes and excel spreadsheet with macros, to send out weekly status emails. A number of us use it without problems.

Recently, I shared a version of this spreadsheet with someone who works on a mac.

He hasn't been able to enable the content.

Is there a different procedure in a mac environment.

He downloaded excel 365 for mac.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dave

9 Replies

Hi @Golfing_Dave 

To enable macros on excel on mac, you can do it from the developer tab.

If the developer tab is not in Ribbon, follow theses steps:

Click on Excel in the menu bar, and then select Preferences in the dropdown. In the menu, click on Ribbon & Toolbar. In the right-hand list, Developer should be at the bottom, click the checkbox. Finally, click Save and you should see the Developer tab show up at the end of the Ribbon.

* If my post helped you, please click on like.

@Golfing_Dave Is suspect that macro security is set to "Disable all macros without notification".

On the Excel menu, press Preferences, then Security (in the Sharing and Privacy section) and choose to disable WITH notification. Upon opening an xlm file, he will be given the option to Enable the macro(s).

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 07.47.11.pngScreenshot 2020-12-24 at 07.46.51.png

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 07.50.31.png

@Golfing_Dave I'm having the problem exactly as you mentioned (cannot enable content and cannot access the clickable buttons). Can you please help me if you have the problem solved?

Praneeth.

There is no change seen even after enabling Macros.

@PraneethMutta Can't really tell what's causing this without seeing the file. Send it to me via a DM if you don't want to upload it to the public space.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Have sent you the file. I was using this file perfect until I switched to MAC (office 365 from App store)

This file is not supported to send via direct Message.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Here is the file. I can use the same file on a Windows computer without any problem.

@PraneethMutta I can open the file but want to have a look at the macro. Can't do that, because it is password protected. From the opening screen, I understand that the user has to select a file to be converted. So, I suspect the code reads out the folder path and filename. Folder paths are structured differently on a Mac are different than on a PC. Perhaps that's where it goes wrong.