SOLVED

absolute references in Smart tables Excel

Copper Contributor

hi, i'm trying to make mix-reference formula in Smart table Excel and cannot find the way to fix a colunmn. i need an equivalent of this in Smart table: in col C: =sum($A3:B3), in col D: =sum($A3:C3) etc. to expand the formula to the right and bottom.

thanks in advance

5 Replies

@AnaBoyko I assume you refer to "structured" Excel tables. If so, you can read all about absolute references in the attached link.

https://exceloffthegrid.com/excel-tables-absolute-references/ 

@Riny_van_Eekelen yes, i mean Structured tables, thank you for the interesting link, but it doesn't assume formula copying: I need in the same raw in column C to sum cells from column A to B, in col D - sum from A to C (including B), but when I copy the formula from C to D I'm getting the sum of A and C, excuding B.

best response confirmed by AnaBoyko (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AnaBoyko 

This works if you drag to the right, not copy/paste

image.png

@Sergei Baklan thank you very much!, now I see my mistake: visually the rage and the cells sum are the same, the difference is only in commas in the formula - ":" or ";"

AnaBoyko_0-1611154441933.png 

AnaBoyko_1-1611154460386.png

but I expected to see the range as we see in all other excel

AnaBoyko_2-1611154495504.png

@AnaBoyko 

With semicolon that's another formula, with it you sum column A (fixed) WITH another column (C, D, etc). With colon you sum entire range from column A TO another column (C, D, etc).

Just in case I attach the file with the sample.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by AnaBoyko (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@AnaBoyko 

This works if you drag to the right, not copy/paste

image.png

View solution in original post