365 STOCK DATA not updating all stocks

Copper Contributor

Sept 15/20 - Not all the stocks in my excel 365 spreadsheet are updating. Is there a problem with the data source? Are you able to change data sources? How do I notify Microsoft of this problem?

27 Replies

@JimBo_KW 

All data is provided by Refinitiv and updated with some delay, an issue could be on their site. More is here About the Stocks financial data sources  

The only ways to contact Microsoft with concrete issue is to send a frown from File->Feedback or/and open support ticket.

@Sergei Baklan 

Hi .... Thanks for the input. The data feed has worked flawlessly for almost a year now with prices updating with a delay of approx. 20 mins. It started working again yesterday afternoon but is not working again today. I am wondering if it has something to do with the Excel update.

@Sergei Baklan I have the same issue.  Worked fine until I tried to do a Data - Refresh All this morning.  Nothing updates.  Tried reloading Microsoft 365 and still have same issue. 

@Sergei Baklan 

I am having same issue. I spent 2 hours on chat with MS tech this morning. She could not resolve. Ticket # 1010589201. She sent me to support forum. :(

@JonLippold 

Same here - I spent time with Microsoft this morning and also was told to go to support forum.  They also gave me a case #, which I'm trying to get an update.   I'm trying to ascertain whether this is a Microsoft/Refinitic problem or if I'm an isolated case.  I think I'm going to start a new question to see if others are having this issue.

@Sammy9673 

Same here - I just spent 2 hours with Microsoft they advise me to call Refinitic for support. Microsoft told me that they do not have anything to do with STOCKs data & Microsoft support team do not have any training to resolve this.

@JimBo_KW 

Feedback from Microsoft:

 Ziwei (Microsoft)
Thursday, September 17, 2020 4:06 AM GMT
Hello ---------,

Thank you for the time on call and remote session. Sorry for not able to provide enough help on this issue as Excel function is out of our support scope. As I checked again with your issue, there was a similar issue in Microsoft community at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10-msoinsider_excel.... According to the reply, this should be a service incident between the data provider and Microsoft server, which should be fixed in several days. If you would know more about it, kindly contact https://www.refinitiv.com/en/contact-us.

Same issue shows on my Excel so I believe there is no setting error on your side. Unfortunately as we do not support Excel I don't have resource to confirm it is an incident and its expected service restoring time. As you can see at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/support-options-for-microsoft-office-application-issues-f..., office application usage issue is covered by non-cost technical support https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/office/en-us/home, and cost technical support https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/premier. Apologize again for we do not have the needed resource for you as Microsoft 365 technical support team.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Online services. If you have any concerns just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
Violet
Microsoft O365 Ambassador
Working Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM (UTC+8) | Monday - Friday

If you have any feedback about my work, please do not hesitate to contact
My Manager Ronald Tjoanda at Email: v-ronat@microsoft.com

@Vidit340 

"Apologize again for we do not have the needed resource for you as Microsoft 365 technical support team."

This is not acceptable! I am paying for a subscription of Office 365 specifically for stock data updates. There must be somewhere in Microsoft that you can send this problem to. If Refinitv is supplying the data for Microsoft then Microsoft must be paying for it. You would think that they would want to know when they are paying for something that they are not getting.

@JimBo_KW 

I'm having the same problem and purchased O365 for the exact same reason.

I was able to get a response from the help desk:

"I have reviewed on our end and was able to verify that the error you are encountering is a current bug on our back end system which is being worked by our Engineering team. Please be advised that we will be including your case on our system so that they can proceed and review it as well."

Timeline on fix is 24-48 hours!!!!

@JimBo_KW 

I have used this feature for a couple of years and it always worked flawlessly . . . ,until yesterday morning. I called tech support and they spent 1 hour trying to make the feature work. Near the end of my chat, the technician indicated that this is a Microsoft problem and they are working on it. Since I rely on this as one of my investment tools, my normal trading activity is negatively impacted. I can only guess on how my bottom line has been impacted. As of 10 minutes ago it was still not functional. Why doesn't Microsoft post a status of a problem fix to allow us to plan accordingly?

@JimBo_KW 

This is the msg. from support team. They just want to close my ticket & saying they are done.

Response:

Good day and I hope you are well.

This is Richard from xxx team. I’m the Senior Engineer of Violet. I am contacting you regarding your service request: xxxxxxxx- In excel Stocks function is not working.

I would like to follow-up if everything is now going fine. I can see that as issue is now addressed and clarified. I’d to inform you as well that this issue is out of our scope of support. With your permission, we will proceed to archive the case as resolved.

If you still need any help, or if you have questions, clarification or concerns regarding Office 365, please do not hesitate to let me know by replying to this email. At the same time, feel free to contact or loop our Team Leader and Team Manager to make sure that we are not going to miss any of your follow up. Please refer to the contact information below:

Allen Talidro
Team Leader
Email address: v-alltal@microsoft.com

Ronald Tjoanda
Team Manager
Email address: v-ronat@microsoft.com

@Vidit340 

Issue does not seem to be resolved for me - stock values are still stuck on 9/15/20 and will not update - not sure if it is working yet for others.

@Vidit340 

Hi ..... there is no change to my 365 spreadsheet !!!! The dat is still not updating and I cleared my cache and did a reboot.    NOT WORKING

@JimBo_KW

Hi there! I have also tried switching accounts, going with online excel but no luck! Also nothing in Account privacy settings. I also tried shutting off my antivirus & firewall etc but no luck. I had put extensive amount of work to develop my spreadsheet using VB programming now without STOCK data currently everything is dead. (Almost 6 months of work)

Now I don't think Microsoft would be any help. if they can not fix I will try google spreadsheet. 

Use the GOOGLEFINANCE function

Vidit340_0-1600382024273.png

1. In Sheets, open a spreadsheet.
  2. In an empty cell, type =GOOGLEFINANCE.
  3. In parenthesis, add any of the following, separated by a comma:
    • A ticker symbol in quotation marks.
    • (Optional) The attribute you want to show, such as price, in quotation marks.
    • (Optional) A start and an end date preceded by DATE and followed with the numerical date in parenthesis.
    • (Optional) Daily or weekly frequency in quotation marks.
  4. Press Enter.

@Vidit340

GOOGLEFINANCE
Fetches current or historical securities information from Google Finance.

Sample Usage
GOOGLEFINANCE("NASDAQ:GOOG", "price", DATE(2014,1,1), DATE(2014,12,31), "DAILY")

GOOGLEFINANCE("NASDAQ:GOOG","price",TODAY()-30,TODAY())

GOOGLEFINANCE(A2,A3)

Syntax
GOOGLEFINANCE(ticker, [attribute], [start_date], [end_date|num_days], [interval])

ticker - The ticker symbol for the security to consider. It’s mandatory to use both the exchange symbol and ticker symbol for accurate results and to avoid discrepancies. For example, use “NASDAQ:GOOG” instead of “GOOG.”

If the exchange symbol is not specified, GOOGLEFINANCE will use its best judgement to choose one for you.

Note: Reuters Instrument Codes are no longer supported. For example, use TSE:123 or ASX:XYZ instead of ticker 123.TO or XYZ.AX.

attribute - [ OPTIONAL - "price" by default ] - The attribute to fetch about ticker from Google Finance and is required if a date is specified.

attribute is one of the following for real-time data:

"price" - Real-time price quote, delayed by up to 20 minutes.

"priceopen" - The price as of market open.

"high" - The current day's high price.

"low" - The current day's low price.

"volume" - The current day's trading volume.

"marketcap" - The market capitalization of the stock.

"tradetime" - The time of the last trade.

"datadelay" - How far delayed the real-time data is.

"volumeavg" - The average daily trading volume.

"pe" - The price/earnings ratio.

"eps" - The earnings per share.

"high52" - The 52-week high price.

"low52" - The 52-week low price.

"change" - The price change since the previous trading day's close.

"beta" - The beta value.

"changepct" - The percentage change in price since the previous trading day's close.

"closeyest" - The previous day's closing price.

"shares" - The number of outstanding shares.

"currency" - The currency in which the security is priced. Currencies don't have trading windows, so open, low, high, and volume won't return for this argument.

attribute is one of the following for historical data:

"open" - The opening price for the specified date(s).

"close" - The closing price for the specified date(s).

"high" - The high price for the specified date(s).

"low" - The low price for the specified date(s).

"volume" - The volume for the specified date(s).

"all" - All of the above.

attribute is one of the following for mutual fund data:

"closeyest" - The previous day's closing price.

"date" - The date at which the net asset value was reported.

"returnytd" - The year-to-date return.

"netassets" - The net assets.

"change" - The change in the most recently reported net asset value and the one immediately prior.

"changepct" - The percentage change in the net asset value.

"yieldpct" - The distribution yield, the sum of the prior 12 months' income distributions (stock dividends and fixed income interest payments) and net asset value gains divided by the previous month's net asset value number.

"returnday" - One-day total return.

"return1" - One-week total return.

"return4" - Four-week total return.

"return13" - Thirteen-week total return.

"return52" - Fifty-two-week (annual) total return.

"return156" - 156-week (3-year) total return.

"return260" - 260-week (5-year) total return.

"incomedividend" - The amount of the most recent cash distribution.

"incomedividenddate" - The date of the most recent cash distribution.

"capitalgain" - The amount of the most recent capital gain distribution.

"morningstarrating" - The Morningstar "star" rating.

"expenseratio" - The fund's expense ratio.

start_date - [ OPTIONAL ] - The start date when fetching historical data.

If start_date is specified but end_date|num_days is not, only the single day's data is returned.
end_date|num_days - [ OPTIONAL ] - The end date when fetching historical data, or the number of days from start_date for which to return data.

interval - [ OPTIONAL ] - The frequency of returned data; either "DAILY" or "WEEKLY".

interval can alternatively be specified as 1 or 7. Other numeric values are disallowed.
Notes
Usage restrictions: The data is not for financial industry professional use or use by other professionals at non-financial firms (including government entities). Professional use may be subject to additional licensing fees from a third-party data provider.

All parameters must be enclosed in quotation marks or be references to cells containing text.
Note: A possible exception is when interval is specified as a number and when end_date|num_days is specified as a number of days.

Real-time results will be returned as a value within a single cell. Historical data, even for a single day, will be returned as an expanded array with column headers.

Some attributes may not yield results for all symbols.

If any date parameters are specified, the request is considered historical and only the historical attributes are allowed.
GOOGLEFINANCE is only available in English and does not support most international exchanges.

Historical data cannot be downloaded or accessed via the Sheets API or Apps Script. If you attempt to do so, you'll see a #N/A error in place of the values in the corresponding cells of your spreadsheet.

Quotes are not sourced from all markets and may be delayed up to 20 minutes. Information is provided 'as is' and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice.

Dates passed into GOOGLEFINANCE are treated as noon UTC time. Exchanges that close before that time may be shifted by a day.

@jnrva 

It does seem to be working/updating now - thank you!

@jnrva 

Yep, Thanks!

It is working for me.

@Vidit340ca fonctionne mais pas a 100%, le market cap n'apparait pas entre autre