2019 Excel on Mac no data entry form

Copper Contributor

I recently switched from PC to Mac. Then I found my Microsoft Access not available on Mac version Office. I tried to use Excel instead by creating a data entry form. Windows Excel 2016 is ok. But Mac Excel 2019 does not have this function. Any alternative to this great feature? Why Microsoft disabled this form on its new Excel? Thanks.

29 Replies

@scg216 Hi, thanks for your interest.

In fact I moved on from original obstacle posed by lack of data entry form

Using vba to transfer data to a ‘flat’ data table from worksheets that simulate entry forms for such entry types as DDR’s, regular transactions and periodic / budgeted transactions I can / will be able to create output reports and charts that come somewhere near to MS Money.

(Incidentally the  driver to convert from splendid old MS Money came first from it’s slowness on Parallels on my mac mini; BUT replacing  the HDD with a whisper quick SSD cured that BUT M’Soft bless their cotton socks the decided to cease support for Win7 so the project must be done by Jan’20)

The project is taking a while but I will get there and I will learn more about vba from helpful  sites like this.

Regards Mike

@null null I assume that you're trying to enter a bunch of records with minimal clicking and typing to navigate from one record to the next.  

I recommend using Tables to make data entry easy. To create a table, just press CMD+T.  With a table, you can press TAB to move across the fields and then it will automatically go to the beginning of the next line if you're at the last field.  If you're on the last record in the table, it will add a new record to the end of the list.  In the screenshot below, the 2nd row was completed by typing e TAB f TAB g TAB h, and then the 3rd row was created by pressing TAB. 

2019_10_15_fdcl_fdcl_v4_b74d15dea50c52bdba6fe5a6c8a7abc1_image_ea213ff0f14449f181c568b69a69ee41.png

@Steve_K_Excel 

Thanks Steve,

I've not used the Table's process, I'll give it a go.

As regards my original question, I have since found ways round it using a multi-sheet workbook and VBA macros to process the entries and to move around the workbook.  All such methods developed with the aid of this forum and others like it - members' responses, such as yours have been invaluable.

I now have a reasonable Excel replacement to Win 7 MS Money nearing the end of trials in time for the demise of support for Win 7 in January '20.

Regards and thanks

Mike

@null null -

Do you have access to PowerApps? You could create your data entry form there which can read/write to an Excel file in OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.

Really frustrating the Form command is missing in Excel 365 Mac.

Thanks forum members for your tips.

I believe you will find the Data Form still exists as an option to add to the Quick Access Bar. Just click on the icon to add a command and look for “Form” in the list of commands

@NickMoriceJones I've searched for it everywhere to add to quick access bar and no luck. 

@Nico_Landsman I managed to do what I wanted using Microsoft Forms: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/online-surveys-polls-quizzes. Beautiful questions. Answers can be downloaded to Excel. 

@NickMoriceJones - I have seen that command in Office 365 for Windows but not in the Mac version.  Can you give a more detail on how to add this command?