SOLVED

^0.5 not producing the square root?

Copper Contributor

Hi. I have something I have not seen before. I have an equation that requires a "power 0.5) of a sin and cos. When I do the equation using ^0.5 it returns the wrong answer (I have an example calculation that I am replicating). If I use SQRT(all the cos and sin calcs) it does return the correct answer. Example of that one below as well. Anyone know why (calc)^0.5 would not work. I have used that for years.

Pmorg73_1-1705014540160.png

Pmorg73_0-1705014522404.png

1 Reply
best response confirmed by Pmorg73 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
So you don't show the example of the ^0.5 that doesn't work but I suspect with all those ( ) you have a grouping problem. In fact I think you have a problem in the equation above. The 2 cos are not inside a set of ( ) so you equation is (sin * sin / cos * cos) instead of (sin * sin / cos / cos ) OR (sin * sin) / (cos * cos).
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Pmorg73 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
So you don't show the example of the ^0.5 that doesn't work but I suspect with all those ( ) you have a grouping problem. In fact I think you have a problem in the equation above. The 2 cos are not inside a set of ( ) so you equation is (sin * sin / cos * cos) instead of (sin * sin / cos / cos ) OR (sin * sin) / (cos * cos).

View solution in original post